turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to amend my tax return from a previous year. I purchased a state program when I was filing the original return. Do I need to purchase it again when I amend it?

I orginally filed and paid for my federal, Colorado, and Georgia return for 2017, using the online system. However, mistake was made in my federal return. Now I am trying to amend the return. After I click "Amend(change) 2017 return", it asks me to download the .tax file and then download TurboTax Desktop 2017. There are no other options on the webpage other than the download links. After installing the software and loading the .tax file, it asks me to add the states. However, only one state can be added for free. I have to pay for the other one. Without adding the two states, the system does not allow me to go any further, regardless of the fact that I don't need to do any amendment to the two state returns. There is no other options on the software. Now I am stuck on the "Billing Information" page.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I need to amend my tax return from a previous year. I purchased a state program when I was filing the original return. Do I need to purchase it again when I amend it?

The only way to amend a 2017 return is to download your 2017 as a .tax file & have the software installed on your computer.  Since the program is asking you pay for state you should contact TurboTax support & they can help you get the state programs you already paid for. Click on the following link to connect with TurboTax Support.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

View solution in original post

7 Replies

No you don't need to purchase the state program again.  If you are referring to your 2018 return, if you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” You must file a separate Form 1040X for each tax return you are amending.

----------------------------

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

You can amend returns that have been accepted by the IRS. If your return is pending, you won't be able to make any changes until it's accepted or rejected by the IRS. If you don't know your e-file status, we can help you check it.

Select a tax year for specific amending instructions.

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return (or 2 years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later) to file an amended return, which means you don't have to get it done by the April 15 filing deadline.

Once you amend your federal return, you can go ahead in the state program to amend your state.

Amended returns cannot be e-filed, they must be mailed, don't forget to sign the amended return.

The 2018 amendment process will not be operational until after the 2019 online version goes live sometime in December.  

Hello,
Thank you for your reply!
I followed your instruction, but the system still asked me to pay for one of the states.
Here are some details:
I orginally filed and paid for my federal, Colorado, and Georgia return for 2017, using the online system. However, mistake was made in my federal return.
Now I am trying to amend the return. After I click "Amend(change) 2017 return", it asks me to download the .tax file and then download TurboTax Desktop 2017. There are no other options on the webpage other than the download links.
After installing the software and loading the .tax file, it asks me to add the states. However, only one state can be added for free. I have to pay for the other one. Without adding the two states, the system does not allow me to go any further, regardless of the fact that I don't need to do any amendment to the two state returns. There is no other options on the software. Now I am stuck on the "Billing Information" page.

The only way to amend a 2017 return is to download your 2017 as a .tax file & have the software installed on your computer.  Since the program is asking you pay for state you should contact TurboTax support & they can help you get the state programs you already paid for. Click on the following link to connect with TurboTax Support.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Another thing you can try is to update your software before you start you State return.  Click on the Online Menu, then choose check for updates.  

I need to amend my 2019 return but did not use Turbo tax that year.  How can I amend it using your program?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@Karamensay2018 Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for instructions on how to Amend a prior year tax return:

How do I amend a 2019 return in TurboTax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies