Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I mistakenly put last years income numbers in for one of my W2's. I am confused by the paperwork as it stated I now owe $XXX when filed I was due a refund of $XXXX.

The difference in my income was less than $200. Thoughts and or suggestions regarding being audited?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I mistakenly put last years income numbers in for one of my W2's. I am confused by the paperwork as it stated I now owe $XXX when filed I was due a refund of $XXXX.

If you filed your tax return using incorrect information from the wrong W-2 then you need to amend the return after it has been fully processed.  Do not wait to be "audited."

The system is now in transition from 2018 to 2019 software.  Wait until the transition is complete in December.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed?...

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 3-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2566895-what-does-it-mean-to-amend-a-return

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

It's likely that the IRS is not figuring the additional tax on the difference between the two W-2s but is considering the entire correct W-2 to be missing from your tax return and the incorrect W-2 included with your tax return as being reportable income in addition to that on the missing W-2 (with the IRS assuming that the employer failed to provide the IRS with a copy of the W-2 that you did report).  This would be in line with the procedures in the Internal Revenue Manual; if the filed tax return does not include a W-2 that matches what they received directly from the employer, assume that the W-2 that they received from the employer was simply omitted when you prepared your tax return.

As xmasbaby0 indicated, you'll likely need to provide an amended tax return to correct and explain the error on your originally filed tax return so that the IRS can match the reporting on your tax return with the reporting that they received.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you didn't state your approximate filing date or whether the amount reported was $200 higher or lower than what should have been and what about other amounts on the W-2?  for an error in the amount you stated, it is unlikely the IRS would audit your return.   what likely to happen is that once the IRS fully processes your return. it will catch the W-2 error(s) and send you a notice.    The big question is when.     Since the earliest date you can amend is some time in December or when IRS fully processes  the return, whichever is later.  (see below) I would wait to see what happens.   You might get the notice before you can amend and if you accept the changes there is no need to amend. Be sure to send back the notice.  if your now due a refund, once the IRS gets the notice back, it will process your refund.  if you owe, send a check.   the IRS might bill you for penalties and interest

The Internal Revenue Service offers several ways for you to track the progress of your tax return. They suggest you start by using its “Where’s My Refund?” online tool or the IRS2Go mobile app.

If you owed the IRS taxes and paid by check, contact your financial institution to make sure it cleared. If it didn't, and it's been at least two weeks since you sent the payment, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to ask if the amount has been credited to your account. You also can use this number to confirm that your return has been processed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies