turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m really stuck right now. Me and my boyfriend just had a baby last year. While being pregnant I worked and probably missed about 4 months of work due to pregnancy. He however, worked all year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I’m really stuck right now. Me and my boyfriend just had a baby last year. While being pregnant I worked and probably missed about 4 months of work due to pregnancy. He however, worked all year.

You have not asked a question.  If you all live together then only  one of you can claim the child on a tax return.  Figure out your tax returns both ways and see which way ends up better .You said boyfriend--so you cannot file a joint return.  If BF made more money then he is probably the one who should file as Head of Household and claim the child,  You file Single--and nothing about the child goes on your return.  But use the software to calculate it for each of you and see.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you are all living together in the same household you only need to make a decision on who claims the child on their tax return.  The one claiming the child will probably be eligible for Head of Household status.  The one not claiming the child must file as Single, if not married, and does not enter the child on their tax return.

Whomever claims the child needs to indicate on their tax return that the child lived with them for the Whole year since the child was born in 2019.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies