turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just tried the Stimulus portal. I entered direct deposit info but the return shows XXX for the bank info. Will the IRS receive direct deposit info?

The app confirmed my direct deposit info but it shows XXXs on page 2 of the generated 1040. Normally direct deposit info prints here. Is something special sending the info?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

32 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

I just tried the Stimulus portal. I entered direct deposit info but the return shows XXX for the bank info. Will the IRS receive direct deposit info?

No, there is nothing else you need to do.  It is normal for your bank account information not to print out for security reasons.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not true that it usually masks this information. See the sample return I just prepared (using the desktop version). Are you certain the direct deposit information will be provided even though there is no refund?

Sample Return with Bank Info.JPG

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@wlrosenfeld  Correct, the X's will show on the screen to mask your account information but it has been sent to the IRS.

If that is the case on the PDF file.....(showing X's where the bank account and routing would show for direct deposit info)....why does the PDF show my SSN and information?  Why would one be X'ed out and not the other? 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Nothing special.  In every tax software i have worked with, the banking information is always XX out but the name and social security number is visible. i think it may be a treasury regulation that none of us are aware of.

Ok ... you do know this "simple" return program was cobbled together in  just a week ... there are bound to be glitches ... so ignore the XXX on the  PDF 1040 and trust the info was sent. 

Yes, i have a head on my shoulders and am quite aware that there are glitches. I have already experienced more than one and have yet to submit anything. The thing is, when it comes to the IRS, i’m not super into ‘winging it’ and ‘hoping its ok’.

So as an individual simply trying to use and understand this product, its fair to want to understand the glitches and feel confident in what i am submitting.  Deciding if i should wait to submit after glitches are fixed if they ever are, or just ‘winging it’......

I am simply looking for professional and qualified help, nothing more or less. 

@DaveF1006 

Can you help me with this:  In the Stimulus Portal, under the submission form for folks who do are not required to file taxes.....as you go through the process, it asks the usual "were you married as of Dec 31, 2019".  I am married, and my wife filed as MFS.  I click married, then go through the portal as Married Filing Separately.  You get to a point just before you enter your bank account information, and TurboTax kinda holds it all up and gives an error message reading: 

Your filing status needs to be changed
In order for your stimulus submission to be successful, please return to My Info and change your filing status to Married Filing Jointly. It will not impact your eligibility for the stimulus payment.

It does not allow you to proceed any further under "MFS".  I called TurboTax, and the rep walked me through it and said I need to file as "SINGLE".  So, we did that.....and it allows me to proceed further to the final page where I am shown my 1040 and can click the final SUBMIT.  I did not proceed any further....as I have concerns about sending a 1040 to the IRS that shows me as filing as "SINGLE" when my wife has filed as MFS.  But everyone at Turbo Tax is saying to do it this way.....

I guess my question is:  I know this is a "simple return" for the stimulus package.....and everyone is suggesting to just go ahead with filing as Single.....but I am concerned the IRS will receive this 1040 Turbo Tax sends....and that will raise flags.  How can i confidently proceed?   Is there a known explanation for this?  Would love to just submit this as MFS, but it simply does not allow it. 

Appreciate any help....

Because you are not filing a true return  you can change to single without a problem.  I am sure this has something to do with all the rules when filing separately and the cross referencing that comes with that status. 

HOWEVER ... if you DO need to file a real return later and you use this process then you will need to AMEND this simple return and mail it in and wait 4 months or more for it to process and get a paper refund check. 

Londa6416

Same thing happened to me

Again ... follow the instructions and change to SINGLE for the purpose of JUST getting the stimulus check ... this is not a real return you are filing right now.

HOWEVER ... if you will be filing a REAL 2019 return then you CANNOT use this registration portal. You MUST file the REAL return ... if you do use this portal you would need to amend the return to file any corrections.

simple109
Returning Member

You have to register on the app and print your documents to see the numbers where the xxx are! I was wondering 2 that they didn't have my banking info.but it was there on printed copy. 😎

lwpowell20
Returning Member

@CassLO I have the same showing on the return for 2019 for the Stimulus Payment. Just a bunch of X's. What if I wanted to confirm that I entered the correct routing and account information? On my 2018 return from turbo tax it shows my routing and account info, why not now?

lwpowell20
Returning Member

@simple109 I just tried that through the web page and the app, I printed out the return and its still showing "XXXXX" on the account and routing info. I don't know what you did to get it to show

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies