turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just filed my federal tax return (not accepted yet) and found an error. Do I wait until it's accepted then file an amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I just filed my federal tax return (not accepted yet) and found an error. Do I wait until it's accepted then file an amended return?

Yes, once a return has been transmitted you cannot make changes.  If your return gets accepted, then you would need to amend your return to make a change. 

If your return gets rejected, then you can make the change, then re-e-file.

View solution in original post

You cannot e-file an amended return, it has to be mailed.  You cannot file an amended return until your return has been accepted.  You can check your e-file status to see if your return has been accepted yet.

How do I check my e-file status?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/how-do-i-check-my-e-file-status/00/25538

Corrected above answer.

4 Replies

Yes, once a return has been transmitted you cannot make changes.  If your return gets accepted, then you would need to amend your return to make a change. 

If your return gets rejected, then you can make the change, then re-e-file.

Can I efile an amended return?

You cannot e-file an amended return, it has to be mailed.  You cannot file an amended return until your return has been accepted.  You can check your e-file status to see if your return has been accepted yet.

How do I check my e-file status?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/how-do-i-check-my-e-file-status/00/25538

Corrected above answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies