turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I haven’t gotten my refund and the irs took money out my account for state taxes even though it shows it suppose to be taken out of my refund on the app

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I haven’t gotten my refund and the irs took money out my account for state taxes even though it shows it suppose to be taken out of my refund on the app

You are confused.  The IRS does not have anything to do with your state tax return.  The IRS would not take money out of your bank account to pay a state tax due, so not sure what was taken from your account or why.  The IRS ---the Internal Revenue Service---handles your federal tax return and your federal tax refund or federal tax due.  The only time the IRS might be involved with your state is when you owe back tax to the state and the IRS has an order to seize your federal refund to pay the state.  But the IRS does not go in to your bank account to get the state tax you owe.

Look again very carefully at your federal Form 1040.  Does it show a refund on line 20?  Or does it show tax due on line 23?  It cannot be both.  Is it possible that you confused owing the IRS with getting a refund?  If so, then did you enter bank account information that the IRS used to debit your account for federal tax due?

The other part of your post that is confusing----or that indicates that you were confused-- is that your federal refund cannot be used to pay state tax due--ever.  Even if you were getting a federal refund, if you owe the state you have to pay the state yourself.  A federal refund is never used to pay the state tax due.  TurboTax shows you a "summary" at the end that nets out the difference if you are getting a refund from one return and owe on the other one.  Sometimes people get confused and think a refund is being used to pay the tax owed---and that does not happen.  

Print out your returns and look them over carefully to see which one(s) you had tax due on.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No it say Alabama department of revenue 123 dollars the amount I owe for 2019 tax year

They took it out of my savings account 

So---money was not taken by the IRS.  It was taken by the state for the state tax you owed.  If you are getting a federal refund, then you should expect the amount you see on line 20 of your federal return when the IRS sends your federal refund.  Federal refunds are delayed -- many are taking longer this year.  You can check the status of your federal refund on the IRS refund site.

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic. 

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies