Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have to amend my 2017 and 2018 taxes before I can finish 2019. I expect to get refunds for 2017 and 2018. Can I carry those refunds forward to pay my taxes in 2019

In 2019 I know I will be owing. But do I have to wait?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have to amend my 2017 and 2018 taxes before I can finish 2019. I expect to get refunds for 2017 and 2018. Can I carry those refunds forward to pay my taxes in 2019

No, you cannot use those refunds to pay the 2019 tax due.  It takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  If you are getting a refund they mail you a check. And your 2019 tax due is supposed to be paid by April 15, 2020.  Even if you get an extension for 2019, it only gives you an extension to file--estimated 2019 tax due is required to be paid by April 15, 2020.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

No, you cannot apply the 2017 and 2018 towards the 2019 taxes owed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, you cannot use those refunds to pay the 2019 tax due.  It takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  If you are getting a refund they mail you a check. And your 2019 tax due is supposed to be paid by April 15, 2020.  Even if you get an extension for 2019, it only gives you an extension to file--estimated 2019 tax due is required to be paid by April 15, 2020.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks both of you for the answer. I thought I'd seen that when you have a refund you can choose to apply it towards the next year's taxes. But I figured it wouldn't apply for amended returns. I think I'm going to have to pay a penalty for not paying quite enough tax in 2019, and that would have made the difference.

Thank you for the quick response!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies