turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mloholt
Returning Member

I got a notice 1445, doesn't this mean TurboTax messed up?

I got a notice 1445 from the IRS stating I owe more money than I paid (after the accepted my return initially). I have read that this is consider a "math error" notice and was likely caused by incorrect calculations related to the COVID stimulus.

I used TurboTax to file my return and so if there is a math error, isn't that TurboTax's fault? I didn't do any math for my return, TurboTax does that.

Is TurboTax aware of this mistake and working to resolve it for customers?

Thanks,
Mike

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Did you have an amount on 1040 line 30 for the Recovery rebate credit?  Did you already get the first 2 Stimulus payment?  Line 30 is only if you didn't get them or qualify for more.

That is one of the list of generic reasons they give if they changed the Recovery rebate credit on line 30.  How much is on 1040 line 30?

If you claimed a missing stimulus payment on your return but the IRS took it off you have to ask the IRS. They think they already sent it to you. Maybe it went to an account you don't remember. Or you got a check or a card. It was probably easy to miss the debit card in the mail and think it was junk mail. They have to put a trace on it.

How to put a trace on a missing 1st or 2nd Stimulus payment.  IRS for Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Not Received

See question F3 here, you can expand it to see how to put a trace on it.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-f-finding-the-first-and-second-econom...

mloholt
Returning Member

My line 30 is blank and I did not receive any of the stimulus checks. Does that indicate anything is wrong with my return? Thanks.

If line 30 is 0 then what did the IRS change exactly?

mloholt
Returning Member

Beats me. Notice 1445 provide no information whatsoever about why they think I owe more.

mloholt
Returning Member

I'm assuming that whatever happened must have happened to other TurboTax customers?

We're not sure what a 1445 letter is for.   Does it say they changed your return?   Is there another page with it?  The letter should have a CP or LTR number up at the top.   1445 seems to be new this year.  Maybe another letter will come.

mloholt
Returning Member

CP501. It just says they contacted me previously about my past due taxes (I did not receive a previous letter). Thanks.

Well if you owed prior taxes they took your refund for it.  See CP501

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp501-notice 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies