Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mbarloo

I forgot to attach my w-2 form in front of my 1040 I already mailed it out the way turbo tax did my taxes how can I restart and do it correctly ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I forgot to attach my w-2 form in front of my 1040 I already mailed it out the way turbo tax did my taxes how can I restart and do it correctly ?

You cannot re-start your return since you already mailed your return.  If you included your W-2 with your return then most likely the IRS and State would see it.  If you did not include your W-2 at all, then you will have to wait until you hear from the IRS or State asking you about your W-2.  The IRS is not processing mailed in returns until they re-open, so it maybe a while before your hear anything from the IRS.

Do not send in another return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You cannot re-start your return since you already mailed your return.  If you included your W-2 with your return then most likely the IRS and State would see it.  If you did not include your W-2 at all, then you will have to wait until you hear from the IRS or State asking you about your W-2.  The IRS is not processing mailed in returns until they re-open, so it maybe a while before your hear anything from the IRS.

Do not send in another return.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If you have already mailed your tax return, you should not submit another tax return.  There is a good chance the IRS will process your mailed tax return without the W-2 forms attached.  If not, the IRS will contact you by letter requesting additional information.

Be aware, however, that because of the COVID-19 issues, the IRS has postponed processing paper returns and phone services.  No specific date has been given for when the IRS will begin processing paper returns again, only that paper returns will be processed once processing centers are able to reopen.  Likewise, the IRS has not disclosed when phone services will resume.

The IRS instructs that if you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies