turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes for 2020 with turbo tax and I still haven't received my refund. Let TurboTax wants me to pay them for services! I received 2021 by goin through an agent.

I have tried calling them and they've done nothing and my tax agent says she can't do anything bc she didn't file it and it says pending still and it's on TurboTax to do something about it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I filed my taxes for 2020 with turbo tax and I still haven't received my refund. Let TurboTax wants me to pay them for services! I received 2021 by goin through an agent.

@Dsch493448 wrote:

I have tried calling them and they've done nothing and my tax agent says she can't do anything bc she didn't file it and it says pending still and it's on TurboTax to do something about it.

You need to explain your story with some detail so people can understand it, but do not post any personal info.  This is a public Internet forum.

Here are some things that folks are going to need to know in order to comment further:

1. When (approximately) did you file your 2020 return?  
  2. How did you prepare the 2020 return?  Did you use 2020 Online TurboTax last year or the 2020 desktop software (CD/download)?
  3. How did you file the 2020 return you prepared--was it efiled in 2020 TurboTax last year, or did you print and mail it?
  4. "TurboTax wants me to pay them for services!"
          What's the story on that?   Pay for what?   Online TurboTax is currently only for preparing and filing a 2021 return.   2020 Online TurboTax ended in October 2021, and TurboTax would have wanted to be paid for a 2020 return long before now, so it's not clear what you are referring to about a payment that TurboTax is currently wanting.  
    Did you use 2020 Online TurboTax last year and chose to pay for it out of your 2020 Federal refund?  If so, and with a delayed refund TurboTax would have asked for payment a long time ago.
  5. "it says pending still..."
        What is the "it" that is doing the saying?    Are you referring to the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool when you look up your 2020 refund?   https://www.irs.gov/refunds
    Does that tool say the 2020 return is "still being processed?"

@Dsch493448 - if you filed your 2020 taxes and the transcript at IRS.gov states 'pending', then you'll have to contact the IRS.  Turbo tax would have no information about the status of the return.   

it would be important to help you out further to understand a) when your filed (date) and b) whether that was efile or paper file. 

I e-filed through TurboTax and it was accepted 08/17/21

The irs app and website always says info being entered doesn't Match  or there is no info available at this time 

It was only allowing me to write a certain amount of characters which is why I didn't explain things more. I filed my taxes and it was accepted going 8/17/2021 for 2020 taxes I had not received any of my stimulus is so they all were in that return I paid the $130 for the expert tax person help in about 3 months after still not receiving my refund TurboTax started coming to me for payment when the 130 was supposed to be taken out of my refund I have now filed my 2021 taxes with an actual accountant and already received them back within less than 21 days and I'm still waiting on my 2020 that I e-filed with TurboTax. My accountant can't see anything except that it's pending and because she did not file that she can't really do much about it. She just

@Dsch493448 again, Turbo Tax would have no information on the status of your return at the IRS.  That information is confidential between you and the IRS and the IRS doesn't share it with anyone.

If it does not process by the end of August, best is to contact the IRS or the Advocate office for resolution.  

@ Dsch493448 wrote:

The irs app and website always says info being entered doesn't Match  or there is no info available at this time 

When using the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool for a 2020 return, here are some tips:

• Be sure you choose the 2020 tax year.
  • Be sure you enter the correct SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Also be sure you are using the Federal amount before any TurboTax fees are taken out (if you chose that option.)
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.
  • You can also try phoning the IRS refund hotline.  I've seen it work for some users when the WMR tool didn't.  800-829-1954

Otherwise, you can phone the IRS to see if you can learn anything about the delay, but be warned the IRS is not easy to reach.   I realize this is anecdotal and subject to chance, but I have found that for me it was best to call just before closing time--about 6:50-6:55 PM and go through the steps below.  I figured a lot of folks would not call that close to closing, and that if I was one of the last to get into the queue, they would finish off all the people who were in the queue at closing time.   I still had to wait about 25-30 minutes.   

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you have no luck reaching the IRS, or don't get satisfactory information, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.    They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies