turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes 1/20/2019 and still haven’t receive my refund. The IRS Refund Status tool just says, “A date will be provided when available.” What do I do? Suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
CassandraLO
Intuit Alumni

I filed my taxes 1/20/2019 and still haven’t receive my refund. The IRS Refund Status tool just says, “A date will be provided when available.” What do I do? Suggestions?

There is nothing you need to do but if you would like to contact the IRS, to see if they can provide you with additional information, I have listed the IRS contact number and how to get through to them at the bottom of the page. Where’s My Refund? will give you a personalized date for your refund, once the IRS approves your refund. 

This is normal if the IRS had required additional review on your tax refund. There are a few reasons your refund may be taking a little bit longer, I have listed some information below.

Even though the IRS issues 9 out of 10 tax refunds within 21 days, it's possible your return may require additional review and take longer to process.

For some taxpayers, PATH Act requirements and other identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS may account for longer wait times.The IRS started issuing tax refunds on returns with the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit on February 27, 2019.

Other things that can delay your refund include but are not limited to:

• Liens, back taxes, or refund offsets;
  • Errors, inconsistencies, or missing information;
  • Identity fraud;
  • Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which can take 11-14 weeks to process.

Also, if you chose direct deposit, your financial institution may need another day or two to post the refund to your account, so keep that in mind.

Here is the general timeline of e-filed returns:

Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

You can contact the IRS directly and see if they can give you any details on your tax return status:

Please call 800-829-1040 and do the following:

1. Press 1 for English listen to the recorded message

2. Press 2 for answers about personal income taxes listen to the recorded message

3. Press 1 for questions about a form you already submitted

4. Press 3 for all other questions

5. Press 2 for all other questions

6. Enter your social or ein confirm type (social or ein) and confirm if the number is right by pressing 1

7. Listen to all options then it will say if you have not heard your topic please hold

8. Next, it will say if you owe money and agree with the amount press 1

You will then be transferred to a representative after a general message from the IRS

(Note: If call volume is too high they will ask you to call back)

If it's been more than 21 days dont listen to those who say it's a waiting game coz its bs, call them to find out why. I haven't got mine more than 31 days and still haven't. Called them and they said one of my w2 isnt showing up and they need to call the company, they notified me by mailing me a letter and I asked the lady where it was sent coz I haven't got any letters regarding to the situation and she said we didn't mail it yet but we are going to send one now and you need to wait another 2 weeks to check if the IRS is done reviewing your tax refund. They should've mailed me the letter way before 31days not when i called and asked about it. Smh. 

Pear
Level 2

I tried to call but no one's working during this time. Do you know if there any other way 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Pear No, unfortunately, there is no way to get through to the IRS right now. You would just need to continue monitoring your refund on the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status. Did your refund status show approved, prior to this message? If so, the site will update next when your refund is being sent.

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

Please see the links below for more information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cseifts86

I'm curious about how to approach situation

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@Cseifts86 At this time, we just have to wait for the IRS to resume normal operations. You can continue regularly checking the "Where's My Refund?" tool for updates

I am in the same exact boat - I filed my taxes back in January (and my tax returns are quite simple with maybe one or two W2’s usually, the 2019 return only had one to report).. anyways, I called after the 21 days and was told that I had been selected for a random 45 day review - something about verifying my income. There was a discrepancy between what was printed on the W2 my employer gave me and what autofilled in the TurboTax system when I was filing, which I gave the IRS employee all of the specifics I had on the subject in hopes of a quick resolution in the matter. Well, we are now well past the 45 day mark and my status STILL says that same “currently under review, will provide a date when available” nonsense.. I have no clue what to do at this point, I REALLY need that tax return money and think it’s really unfair that I’m being penalized when I told them months ago exactly what was wrong so that it could be identified and approved... anyways, you’re not alone friend just know that ❤️ 

Jwilling
Returning Member

Unfortunately, you aren't the only person with an issue like this. It took me months to get any information from the IRS or treasury department as a journalist. There are currently THOUSANDS of people that haven't received their 2019 refunds. Most of them don't even have a correction. They're just simple e-file returns. 

After waiting months to get a reply, the information I received was this: NO ONE HAS BEEN WORKING ON TAX RETURNS SINCE STIMULUS PAYMENTS BEGAN. 

Yep. That's right. The IRS received pressure to pay stimulus payments as fast as possible. This without any guidance from the white house itself. This means thousands, at the very least, of Americans who filed their taxes aren't getting their tax refunds. And there's no end in sight. 

For those of you here saying "we have to just wait til the tax offices open," that's not going to work. The IRS is undermanned and, with another round of stimulus payments on the horizon, my suggestion would be to contact your senators, and the Treasury Department directly. 

You can find a list of senators here: 

https://www.senate.gov/senators/index.htm

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. 

The IRS issues a lot of refunds within 21 days, but it has been taking longer with the stimulus payment being issued in addition to the tax refunds. 

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Also, be aware, the IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

Jwilling
Returning Member

Most people are using the online "Where's My Refund" link and it's been well over the 21 day waiting period with the "Your tax return is still being processed" message. This is the reason why people have been reaching out to me. 

Even Americans who have filed e-file returns are not receiving their payments. The IRS isn't offering a timeline or giving any updates on when people will be getting their refunds. The "Where's My Refund" link will stay in "being processed" for months with no answer. This is why people are frustrated. The answer isn't to wait on the IRS to update its information. The answer isn't to keep checking that link. That will get you nowhere. 

Contact your Senator and get the issue resolved by getting Congress involved. The IRS needs more manpower to solve this. Period. 

I am in the same situation, I filed my 

tax return February 11 and I still haven't received mine. I've called and can't get in touch with someone. I have a tax payer advocate, but I've only been able to speak to her once. She me informed that some individuals that filed through turbotax had the same issue in the  child tax credit section. If it has all 0's in the dependent coloum change it to the appropriate number. But still no refund, and when I check online it states the same thing.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The IRS is experiencing significant delays in processing returns and refunds.  This is not unique to returns that were filed through TurboTax.  This is due to numerous department closures and staffing reductions due to the pandemic. It is not yet know when IRS is expected to resume normal operations. 

Pear
Level 2

Have you got any updates from them ? 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. 

You may just need to wait a bit longer.

The IRS issues a lot of refunds within 21 days, but it has been taking longer with the stimulus payment being issued in addition to the tax refunds. 

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Also, be aware, the IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies