turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

whsieh

I filed my tax last night and realized that I missed a tax form (1099-DIV), what should I do.. :'(

Hello,

I filed my tax using Turbotax deluxe software last night and realized that I missed a tax form from my stockbroker.  Fidelity did not mail the tax form to me, so I totally missed it. May I know what I should do with this situation? Do I have to resubmit my tax? Do I have to pay an additional fee to resubmit my state tax..? Please help.. I really don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for the help!.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I filed my tax last night and realized that I missed a tax form (1099-DIV), what should I do.. :'(

For right now, you should just wait.  Let the IRS process your tax return and issue any refund.   After that, you can file an amendment by following the instructions here.   There is no fee to file an amendment unless you have to upgrade in the process.   

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return or 2 years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

For right now, you should just wait.  Let the IRS process your tax return and issue any refund.   After that, you can file an amendment by following the instructions here.   There is no fee to file an amendment unless you have to upgrade in the process.   

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return or 2 years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.

whsieh

Much appreciated for your kindly reply! 🙂 You are the best!

I was preparing my 2021 taxes and realized my broker never mailed me a 1099-DIV for 2020.  The 2020 1099-DIV is for $45.00 so should I wait for the IRS to send me notification or file ammended return for 2020?

Thanks,

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Right now you need to wait until your original filed return is processed.   If the IRS does not catch the missing 1099-DIV, then you will want to file an amendment.   

Thanks so my original return was 2020 tax year and was accepted and I received a refund last year.  I am just wondering if for $45.00 missed 1099-Div if I should file amended return now (in 2021) or just wait for the IRS to send me something on the missed $45.00?

Thanks,

JillS56
Expert Alumni

I am sorry, I missed read your first question.  You can file an amended 2020 now.   Yes, I would file the return and not wait for the IRS.    I thought you were talking about 2021.   I would to ahead and file the 2020 amendment now for the $45.

Thanks and just to confirm the amended 2020 return has to be mailed to the IRS correct?  Do I send the entire return and payment?  Will there be any penalties or interest and how do I calculate or handle that?

Thank you again for your help  🙂

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will have to mail your amended 2020 tax return.  You should include any additional tax that is required when you mail your amended return.  The IRS will notify you by US mail of any penalties and interest you may owe.  You do not have to calculate these items when you file your amended tax return.

Should I include a copy of my 1099-DIV with the amended return?  Also I only have to sign the amended return but include the copy of the regular 1040 return that prints out behind it correct?  

Also the federal 1040X amended return shows $0.00 refund and that I don't owe anything, but I still need to file the amended return correct?  The state return I owe $2.00 and the instructions are clear on how to file and send in payment.

Thanks

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should file the amended return to report the additional income even if there is no refund or no money owed, and include Form 1099-DIV.

See IRS Topic No. 308 Amended Returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies