turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my amended tax by adding a dependent

I had filed an amended tax return to claim my daughter on there because I didn't do it the first time I filed . It says the IRS received it on Feb 6, 2020 and I had mailed it on Feb 3, 2020 . As of today, there's no update . It's been 5 weeks already . I was hoping it could of been done a little faster since they had received it earlier than the 3 weeks waiting period . Was hoping how long would it actually take for them to adjust the amount and send the check ? Since I'm only claiming one dependent which is my daughter.  Is it being delayed because I had to wait for the CA amend state form to be ready for me to file it as well and I just filed the CA amend return on March 13, 2020 . Please let me know , especially with everything that is going on . I'm hoping I can receive it any time soon . 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

The IRS will show you they received your amended return after about 3 weeks but it can take about four months for the IRS to process an amended return and send you a refund. When they send a refund for an amended return, it is always in the form of a check they mail to the address on your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What I mean is that when I mailed it ,iit had already shown in the IRS system that they had received it . So I would of thought they would have checked through it a bit earlier since I didn't have to wait the 3 weeks for it to show that they received it.  

Not sure where you looked.   Did you MAIL a Form 1040X to amend your return?  That is the ONLY way to amend a tax return.  If you did something else, like change your return online and expect it to transmit the change--it did not transmit.  

Tell us what you did to amend.  The Form 1040X was not even available in early February.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes I mailed the 1040X . And are you sure because I did mines in H&R block online when I originally file for an e-file . Then I realized no one was claiming my child so I amended it online and it gave me the option to print and mail it . I amended it once I was approved for the first efile I did online.  Then that is when I filed an amended return . And  I did exactly what they expected when amending a return.  

I am skeptical. 

Try this:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Does anything show up there?

I forgot my grandaughter was pass 35 and I can no longer claim her I need to remove her from the 2019 taxes I filed today

@Rogerwood_1963

Her age has nothing to do with it if she meets the  requirements for you to claim her:

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

I spoke with a representative over the phone and he told me it would take up 8-12 weeks . But then I see other posts saying it would take up 12-16 weeks.  So which one do I know is the right one ? 

Because I've seen old posts from 2019 where someone filed their amended return , it was adjusted like one month after receiving the form then was completed like 2 weeks after .

So why mine is taking longer for it to be processed. I'm already at 6 weeks of waiting for it to at least moved to adjusted 

@Lovely1 wrote:

I spoke with a representative over the phone and he told me it would take up 8-12 weeks . But then I see other posts saying it would take up 12-16 weeks.  So which one do I know is the right one ? 

Because I've seen old posts from 2019 where someone filed their amended return , it was adjusted like one month after receiving the form then was completed like 2 weeks after .

So why mine is taking longer for it to be processed. I'm already at 6 weeks of waiting for it to at least moved to adjusted 

IRS amended tax return status website - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Processing it can take up to 16 weeks.

Last year my finance filed an amended return and they deposited his refund into his bank, although they said that they were going to mail it, it showed up all of a sudden... And I remember, it was deposited right after the April 15th tax filing deadline. And his refund ended up being modified by the irs giving him a bigger refund by almost 2000 more than he originally figured he was getting... 

You can go online to the irs website and go to wheres my “amended” return... Then follow the prompts... It’s in a different section, from the “wheres my refund” indicator. I was able to do that last year when we were waiting on my fiancé’s amended return. We mailed his out in mid to late February last year, and they deposited his refund (not paper check) on I think was April 19 or 20, sooner than we expected. The irs said it could take 12-16 weeks from the time they receive it by mail. 

Actually as of today they "adjusted" my amended return . So now I'm just waiting for it to be completed . Says within 3 weeks I'll receive a notice about the adjustment . They received it Feb 6, 2020 and adjusted it on March 27, 2020 (: it only took 7 weeks , which is not bad at all

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies