turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my 2019 returns in 2020 tax season. I did not owe the irs so i should not get a penalty for filing a year late. I filed in January. My file was accepted January15th by the irs. I still have no

Not received my tax check. Why is it taking so long
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I filed my 2019 returns in 2020 tax season. I did not owe the irs so i should not get a penalty for filing a year late. I filed in January. My file was accepted January15th by the irs. I still have no

For future reference it is never a good idea to file at tax return before the IRS officially is accepting federal tax returns.   The IRS normally does not start accepting any type of tax return until late January, you should wait until early February or even later to file the tax return.

The IRS did not start accepting any type of 2019 tax return until January 27, 2020, 

If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It's not clear what you filed, or thought you were filing, in January 2020, because you said you filed a year late. Your 2019 tax return shows the income that you earned in 2019. Your 2019 tax return is supposed to be filed in 2020. That's not a year late. Do you mean that in January 2020 you filed your 2018 tax return, showing the income that you earned in 2018? That would be a year late. You should have filed your 2018 tax return in 2019.

But if you e-filed a tax return with TurboTax in January 2020, it was a 2019 tax return. In January 2020 TurboTax Online was only for 2019 tax returns. You could not have e-filed a 2018 tax return with TurboTax in January 2020.

If you entered your 2018 income into a 2019 tax return and filed it, it might be taking a long time because the income and other information doesn't match what the IRS has on file for you for 2019, so it was sent for manual processing. But the IRS processing centers were closed for several months because of the Covid-19 pandemic. They are just now starting to reopen, but they have limited staff and a huge backlog, so it may be quite a while before you hear from them.

To file a 2018 tax return (anytime after October 15, 2019) you have to use the CD/Download TurboTax software for 2018. You cannot use TurboTax Online. A 2018 tax return can no longer be e-filed. You will have to print it, sign it, and file it by mail.

For 2019, you should wait until you get some kind of communication from the IRS. You will probably get a notice or letter questioning the 2019 tax return that you filed with your 2018 information. Follow the instructions in the notice or letter to straighten it out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies