Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EmilyRuth1
Returning Member

I filed Jan 23, 2020 and just found out the reason I don't have my refund is because 1095A/8962 was missing

An easy fix; however, Turbotax included that in my 2018 tax return. Why wasn't it in the 2019 return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I filed Jan 23, 2020 and just found out the reason I don't have my refund is because 1095A/8962 was missing

@EmilyRuth1 wrote:

Why wasn't it in the 2019 return?

Because you failed to enter it.  Mandatory health insurance is no longer required, but you can still have a government plan and a 1095A that you must report.  If you go through the TurboTax interview without skipping a section the Medical, Health Coverage Tax Credit section will ask if you have a 1095A.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/01/27409?search-a...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
EmilyRuth1
Returning Member

Thank you for such a prompt answer!

Since healthcare is no longer mandatory, why would it hold up the processing?

@EmilyRuth1 wrote:

Did you receive health insurance through one of the state Marketplace Exchanges or through healtcare.gov?  If so, you would have received a Form 1095-A.  The 1095-A is required to be entered on a federal tax return.  A form 8962, Premium Tax Credit is complete by the TurboTax software after the Form 1095-A has been entered.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Form 8962 and Form 1095-A as requested by the IRS for tax year 2019 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/01/27409

If you did NOT receive health insurance from the MarketPlace then contact the IRS using the phone number on the IRS notice and speak with an IRS agent to resolve this problem.  The IRS may well have incorrect information about your health insurance.

@EmilyRuth1 wrote:

Because if you received a premium tax credit then the form 8962 must be part of your tax return to determine if part of all of that credit is taxable income to you.

The IRS will hold the refund until they receive the 8962 form.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies