turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed extension on 4/15 and paid $6103, now filing the return and it says I owe $2437, but is not recognizing the $6103. How do I get bak the extra $3666?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I filed extension on 4/15 and paid $6103, now filing the return and it says I owe $2437, but is not recognizing the $6103. How do I get bak the extra $3666?

If your extension payment did not automatically show up on 1040 line 70 you need to enter it. So make sure it's not already there before you enter it!

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To the screen where you enter Extension Payments.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension) go to
Federal on left (or Personal for H&B Desktop)
Deductions and Credits
Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension
Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

The new spot for extension payments is on Schedule 5 line 71 which will go to 1040 line 17.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies