turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed early and owed taxes on unemployment. I paid IRS when I filed. TurboTax now shows I’m due a refund but it doesn’t include the amount I already paid IRS why not?

I amended my state tax and was able to include the payment I already made to state but nowhere in my federal forms do I see TurboTax accounting for the amount of federal tax I paid when I filed. This seems like an error. My hope is IRS will account for the payment I made plus the refund due when they recalculate in spring-summer. As that would be the accurate amount of refund I am due this year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I filed early and owed taxes on unemployment. I paid IRS when I filed. TurboTax now shows I’m due a refund but it doesn’t include the amount I already paid IRS why not?

If you already filed and didn't get the 10,200 unemployment exclusion you do not need to amend.  The IRS will be adjusting it for you.  See,

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

This I already know about not needing to amend federal taxes.  You do have to amend your state taxes in the state I live to get the refund for UCE but thank you for replying. The problem is as stated I already filed and also paid the taxes owed on unemployment before UCE law was passed. The question was I am now showing a refund amount via TurboTax online but that amount doesn’t include the money I sent to the IRS in March for taxes owed on unemployment. So my question was why doesn’t turbo tax reflect the full correct refund amount on their online portal. Which is the refund amount plus the money I already paid the IRS in March?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies