Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I faxed form 8962 and 1095-a on 3/10/2020

I faxed form 8692 and 1095-a on March 10th 2020. I called every week for three weeks afterwards they couldn't tell me if they received the fax or not. I got a confirmation from the fax machine and that's the only confirmation I have that they received it. It's been over 4 weeks now since I faxed those forms to the IRS and I still haven't received any indication that they have received it and that I will be getting my tax refund. Now when I call, their offices are closed due to the covid-19 situation. What can I possibly do other than wait around? It would be nice to know if they received it or not so that maybe I can mail it to them instead of faxing. But I don't want to mail it without knowing because they say that doing so will slow down the process if they receive two different packages from me. I have no idea what to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If you received a fax confirmation, then you do have verification that it was received. If you ever needed to prove that you faxed it, you could rely on that.

Since the IRS staffing is very limited due to COVID-19, you will have to wait until the offices reopen. I don't recommend mailing it, as two submissions will likely confuse the IRS. Unfortunately, it is a waiting game for you right now.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your answer. I was afraid of that. Are all of their offices closed or is it just the customer service department? Are they processing returnes right now at all? 

Thanks again for your response. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

According to the IRS, they are still processing returns to the best extent possible at the moment. Please refer to the following website where they put an update.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-assistance-center-statement   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Laura1188

I faxed mine in the very same day you did. And it’s June now and still no refund :( 

ya I'm still waiting too. I called them and they said that the staff who processes those files come back to work June 1st. They said wait 6 weeks from then. They were at least able to tell me that they received my fax. Hopefully we get it soon. Good luck.

I orginally did my taxex through TurboTax on 02/03/2020. It was accepted by the IRS and expected refund was 02/19/2020. Today is 07/07/2020, and no refund. I was surprised that TurboTax didn't provided me with the 8962 information for me to complete. So right away I knew I was going to run into a problem with IRS.  So I  called IRS and was told that a 12C letter was mailed out to me which I never received. So the nice gentleman told me I need to fax the 8962 and 1095A and a fax number was given given to me. So on 3/11/2020, I faxed the 8962 and 1095A, to the number given and thank God it was before the Covid-19, and my papers went through with no problems, and yes I got my confiramation. As of today, I am still waiting on my refund. It still shows being process something something 152... I won't be surprise if I get my refund around Christmas or around that time to file for 2020..

yeah, I faxed my forms in 3/10/20 and my refund is still processing. They resumed processing none electronic correspondence on June 1st. They are backed up and working through submissions slowly. I don't think it'll be as far away as December, but nothing can surprise me at this point. I am upset at turbo tax for not prompting form 8962. I won't be using them next year. Disappointing.

Hello everyone,

My refund was accepted by IRS 2/03/20. Then I get a 12C Letter from IRS to submitted 8962 with 1040A. Information was faxed on 3/11/20 and recieved a confirmation. Finally, today 08/05/20 I received my refund after waiting 6 months for my money, and the refund amount changed dramatically!!

Why when I did my taxes through TurboTax y'all didn't provide me with the 1095A or 8962 form. It took 6 months to get my refund because of TurboTax 

@Brandan Gonzalez wrote:

Why when I did my taxes through TurboTax y'all didn't provide me with the 1095A or 8962 form. It took 6 months to get my refund because of TurboTax 

TurboTax does not "provide" a 1095-A form.   That must be sent to you by the marketplace insurance company that has your plan.   When you enter the 1095A into TurboTax then the associated 8962 is automatically created.

Where do I enter my 1095-A?

If you purchased health insurance through Healthcare.gov or your state's health insurance marketplace, you should receive your 1095-A by mid-February.

Your 1095-A should include info for everybody on your return who was enrolled in a Marketplace plan, and is required to calculate the Premium Tax Credit.

Here's how to enter your 1095-A in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. In the upper right, search for 1095-A.
  3. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  4. Answer Yes on the Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan? screen and Continue.
  5. Enter your 1095-A info on the next screen and select Continue. We don't need all the info from your 1095-A, so we'll only ask about the info that affects your return.

If you have Form 8962 and a 1095-A, and aren't sure what to do with them, go here for info on how to file them with your return.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Hi Brandan,

The reason your tax return was less than you expected is, because when you signed up for healthcare.gov you opted to take the maximum tax credit. That means that you were paying less on your premiums than you actually qualified for. So when you did your taxes without reporting on your 1095-a (with form 8962) it told you that your refund was going to be higher. When you submitted form 8962, it told IRS exactly how much you underpaid on your healthcare premiums every month and that amount came out of the rest of your refund. 

They did take a long time to send the refund, but that was because of COVID. They did pay interest on the refund they owed you so you got a little extra money for that.  They will be send you a letter that explains exactly why you got what you got.

Hope that helps.

zjin
Level 1

Hello - Which IRS phone number did you call?

I ran into very similar issue.

@zjin wrote:

Hello - Which IRS phone number did you call?

I ran into very similar issue.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

nlieu

This was so helpful! I haven't been able to get in touch with someone who knew the status of my forms until now. Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies