turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not receive the advance child tax credit from August to December, will I be able to get all of it when I file this year?

She did claim herself last year but she is still a minor and I’m claiming her as my dependent this year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I did not receive the advance child tax credit from August to December, will I be able to get all of it when I file this year?

Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child Tax Credit

The IRS is sending out letter 6419 to you.  It will show the amount of advance child tax credit that you received during 2021.  Enter the information from that letter carefully.   The remaining amount of CTC that you can receive will show up on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

NOTE:   The CTC is indeed a “credit” that can be applied toward any tax liability that you would otherwise have to pay as “tax due”  to the IRS.

And…..Ignore that “refund monitor.”  The software STARTS OFF by giving you the full amount of CTC.   When you enter the amounts from your letter, the software reconciles the amount you received with the amount you can still get IF you are eligible to get the other half.     You are NOT losing any of the credit; you are not being taxed on the credit.  Don’t get confused by the reconciled amount.   You got some of it already—-now you get the rest.

If you received the advance payment and are NOT eligible to get the other half, then it will not show up on line 28.  (Such as in some cases where the wrong parent got the advance payments, etc.)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Probably. Check Whom May I Claim as a Dependent?. As long as you can claim her, she is under 18, and your income below the limits, then yes, you can claim the full credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"She did claim herself last year but she is still a minor and I’m claiming her as my dependent this year."

You get the child tax credit if she did not turn 18 before the end of 2021.   If she turned 18 in 2021 you cannot get the CTC.

But tell us more about "she claimed herself..."  ---- Did you get that sorted out when it happened?   Did she amend her return and did you file your own return by mail for 2020 to claim her?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I won’t get a letter because I didn’t claim her last year, so I got no child advance credit at all in 2021. So would I just leave the whole amount on there ? Even without any letter from the IRS? 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If you did not receive the advance child tax credit, it is normal that the IRS did not send you a letter 6419.

You should report 0 as Advance child tax credit and you will receive the full child tax credit on your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies