turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not receive my unemployment amended tax refund

When do I get my amended tax refund
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

The IRS is sending the tax refunds for the unemployment compensation exclusion in batches which started in May and will continue for the next several months.

Go to these IRS websites for information -

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-readies-nearly-4-million-refunds-for-unemployment-compensation-over...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-unemployment-compensation-exclusion-faqs

View solution in original post

did you actually file an amended return or are you awaiting the IRS to adjust your return? the IRS did not want an amended return. if you did file one, how this would affect the timing of your refund is unknown. the IRS is far behind in processing returns. some refunds, if taxpayers are to be believed, are taking more than 5 months. 

sadly, the IRS has no website where you can check its status. originally the iRS said these refunds could take all summer. 

Yes, I did file an amended return as requested by Turbo Tax. Thank you for your reply and information.

Thank you.

saraidenae2676
Returning Member

By batches, does that mean part of the amount at a time? I received $900 out of $2,252 I was supposed to receive. 

@saraidenae2676 wrote:

By batches, does that mean part of the amount at a time? I received $900 out of $2,252 I was supposed to receive. 

No, the IRS will send the total refund based on the unemployment exclusion amount.

What you received sounds like a refund from your original tax return that was filed and not for the unemployment compensation exclusion.

saraidenae2676
Returning Member

Right. I filed my federal and state taxes and I only got back $200 something, less with the turbo tax fees. So I amended and they took off the $10,000 that is not taxed from the unemployment amount, and I qualified for EITC and also a child tax credit that I did not qualify for before. Turbo tax said I will receive another federal refund of $2,252, and today I received $900.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies