turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my return for 2017. I need my original return for 2017 for financial aid verification. How do I view/print my original 2017 return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I amended my return for 2017. I need my original return for 2017 for financial aid verification. How do I view/print my original 2017 return?

How and when did you prepare the 2017 amended return?    That will make a difference on whether you can get the original return or not.

Did you amend it last year online from inside your TurboTax account?    Or did you amend it after last year's filing season shut down in October by using the 2017 "amend software" installed on your computer?  If you used the amend software, you still have a chance of getting the original return from your account.

But if you prepared the amended return online last year inside your account prior to October, then as Texas Roger said above, the PDF inside your TurboTax account will only have the amended return.   Online TurboTax does not save both instances of your return. 

If you prepared the amended return offline in the "amend software", however, then the PDF and tax data file inside your online account would still have the original return data.  In that case, if access to the online return is locked, purchasing PLUS to unlock the return should provide the original return.

Otherwise, you could get a free tax return transcript from the IRS.  Many financial aid offices will accept a transcript.  The IRS website says a transcript shows the items "from your original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn’t show changes made after you filed your original return."

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If you qualify to open a free IRS account, then you can download one right away.  If you can't open the IRS account, then you could order to one to come by postal mail in 5-10 calendar days.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi, thank you for responding. I'm able to print my amended 2017 return. Turbotax does not show my original 2017 return before the amendment. Will purchasing PLUS allow me to view it? Sorry for the redundancy, I just want to be clear before spending money. 

When you amend a return, it overwrites the original return. TurboTax instructs you to save a copy of the original return on your computer before beginning the amended return. If you did not do that, the original return no longer exists. 

Why would the financial aid provider not want your amended return instead of your original return? 

How and when did you prepare the 2017 amended return?    That will make a difference on whether you can get the original return or not.

Did you amend it last year online from inside your TurboTax account?    Or did you amend it after last year's filing season shut down in October by using the 2017 "amend software" installed on your computer?  If you used the amend software, you still have a chance of getting the original return from your account.

But if you prepared the amended return online last year inside your account prior to October, then as Texas Roger said above, the PDF inside your TurboTax account will only have the amended return.   Online TurboTax does not save both instances of your return. 

If you prepared the amended return offline in the "amend software", however, then the PDF and tax data file inside your online account would still have the original return data.  In that case, if access to the online return is locked, purchasing PLUS to unlock the return should provide the original return.

Otherwise, you could get a free tax return transcript from the IRS.  Many financial aid offices will accept a transcript.  The IRS website says a transcript shows the items "from your original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn’t show changes made after you filed your original return."

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If you qualify to open a free IRS account, then you can download one right away.  If you can't open the IRS account, then you could order to one to come by postal mail in 5-10 calendar days.

Thank you. This was what I needed to know. 

I was chosen for verification by my financial aid department for 2017 taxes. However I combined my 2017 taxes in my 2018 taxes together last year. So now they want me to redo my 2017 taxes and get an amendment which I did do a 1040x form can you please give me some advice on what I should do and how to do it?

@Tazzbrowne wrote:

I was chosen for verification by my financial aid department for 2017 taxes. However I combined my 2017 taxes in my 2018 taxes together last year. So now they want me to redo my 2017 taxes and get an amendment which I did do a 1040x form can you please give me some advice on what I should do and how to do it?

You wrote:   "So now they want me to redo my 2017 taxes and get an amendment which I did do a 1040x form."

It's not clear at all what all you've done.  There's not enough info to know exactly what all you did.   Did you not ever file an original 2017 at all, then in 2018 incorrectly combined 2017 and 2018 tax years on your 2018 return?

And what is it you need to do now?    Was an original 2017 return ever filed? Do you still need to file an original 2017 return, or do you need to amend a 2017 return?   Have you amended the incorrect 2018 return?  

Did you ever file an original 2017 return?   If you never filed a 2017 original return, then you do not amend a 2017 return; you file the original 2017 return.     If you filed an incorrect 2018 return with both years in it, then you file an amended 2018 return to remove the 2017 stuff that shouldn't be in it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies