turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seano1
Returning Member

I am filing an amended tax return but do my parents need to sign and mail in their return or can they efile?

Hi, 

Just some background, I am 25 years old and I made no income and was living with my parents in 2020. So my tax return was all zeros this year. 

I worked in 2019 so that year I filed as a single person- however for 2020- I had meant to file in a way that allowed my parents to claim me as a qualifying dependent but I realized- after I had already filed- that I stupidly selected no to the box asking if I can be claimed as a dependent. 😔

I am getting ready now to file an amended return to correct that and say that I can be claimed as a dependent and my parents still haven't filed their joint yet. 

My question is- I obviously need to mail my amended return in, but do my parents also need to sign and mail their return or are they still able to e-file? I have a feeling if they efile- with my ss# listed as a dependent- it is just going to get rejected. 

Any advice would help so much, thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I am filing an amended tax return but do my parents need to sign and mail in their return or can they efile?

Your parents cannot e-file because you already put your SSN into the system this year.   Even if you amend your incorrect return, it will never catch up in the system---it takes 4-6 months for the IRS to process an amended return.   Your folks will have to print, sign and mail their return that claims you as a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
seano1
Returning Member

Thank you so much for the quick response xmasbaby0! 

Just one more quick question-  would either my parents or I need to create and mail an amendment with my home state of NJ also? It seems like there is no difference in the State amended return whether I indicate I can be claimed as a dependent by someone else or not. The exemption amount seems to be the same and there is nowhere on the return that it indicates I can't be claimed by someone else. Thank you. 

I am not familiar with NJ tax laws.   However, if your parents have to file their federal return by mail they also have to mail their state return.   Your parents do not have to amend their return.   They did not file incorrect returns.   They simply need to mail correct original returns.   A state return cannot be e-filed unless the federal has been e-filed.   And....not sure why you were filing federal and state returns with no income----what were you trying to do?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
seano1
Returning Member

Thank you for your help! I am going skip mailing an amended return for NJ as I see no difference on the state amended return and original return - and I will have my parents mail in both their Federal and State returns as normal including me as a dependent. 

I filed because I wanted to have my tax records for every year just for my own sake of completeness but yeah  I realize it was incredibly stupid for me to do so, especially with this huge headache I created now. 😟

seano1
Returning Member

Hey xmasbaby0, 

I think its actually possible now to e-file an amended tax return electronically as I was just given the option to do so. There are a few exceptions, like if you are changing you filing status, where you still have to mail it in, but I think for me, I should be able to just e-file the amended return. Not sure however if that still requires my parents to mail in their returns but I am guessing that it most likely still does. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/now-available-irs-form-1040-x-electronic-filing

No matter how or when you file your amended return, your parents have to mail their 2020 return.   Just filing it--even if you e-file---will not speed it up enough for them to ever e-file for 2020.   

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies