Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

c57crane

I am amending a return. It puts the refund from the original down as overpayment from original return. I did not receive full refund. How do I adjust this number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I am amending a return. It puts the refund from the original down as overpayment from original return. I did not receive full refund. How do I adjust this number?

Did the IRS change your return/refund ?   If so what did they change ? 

c57crane

Yes they denied my child tax credit. I spoke with them on the phone and all the guy could tell me was to file an amended return with the same info and hope they get it right this time, because he couldn’t see anything wrong.  But my question is since they refunded me less than expected on the first return how do I lower the amount on line 18 of the 1040x in TurboTax online version?  It seems to auto fill from the 1040 and I need to change it. 

OK ... if they denied the CTC did they also deny the dependent ?    Did you not enter the correct advance CTC payment when asked?

To amend the return you will have to make the same corrections the IRS did ... that must be the amounts on Column A of the 1040X.  You can either fill in the 1040X manually or  go back thru the interview BEFORE you start the amendment process and answer the questions in such a way that the return will reflect the IRS changes.  Once the return is as the IRS has it  only then can you start the amendment process. 

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

c57crane

They gave possible reasons on the CP12 form. One was receiving advanced CTC which I did not. The other possibility was error on 8812 or not transferring 8812 amount to return properly. As I said the IRS guy I spoke to said all the forms looked correct and he could not understand the correction. 

So you are saying reopen the original 1040 and try to make the irs corrections and get the number down that way. I was not even aware I could change anything in the TurboTax software after it was filed. It is not evident how to reopen it for editing but I will have a look. Thanks. 

When you click AMEND, your original (or current) 1040 is opened for revisions/corrections.

That's how it works.

Save an original filing copy first, or you will lose it.

@c57crane 

c57crane

Thanks. I thought it was just an interview that only fed into the 1040x. Good to know it is changing the original 1040. Going to be a little odd trying to change it to the IRS version though since they said all my forms were correct. I guess I will have to change something to force the child credit to go away even if it is not what was in my return. Thanks again.  

c57crane

Actually in returning to this, the amend interview does not allow changes to the original and on the home page there is no way to open the original for editing. Again not sure how to get line 18 of 1040x to change. 

to amend your tax return, use EDIT/UPDATE commands in the appropriate area to add or correct any information on your tax return. If you have received more tax documents, use the ADD command.

When you stop, the form 1040-X will reflect any changes you made.

@c57crane 

c57crane

Yes I get this and everything is correct except the irs refunded me less than my original return. Line 18 1040x has the amount TurboTax thinks the IRS refunded me and so is showing I owe money when in fact they would owe me money.  If I could change line 18 to the actual amount they refunded, which is what the line is asking for, then I would be done. 

Line 18 can be problematic,

According to this forum, TurboTax makes that difficult.

I can't comment further since I don't have TurboTax 2021.

The last post I saw on the topic, the taxpayer was able to handle it  successfully their self without any special assistance from the forum.

Your mileage may vary.

@c57crane 

If you file with an incorrect Line 18, IRS will immediately notice that. They call it a miscalculation.

IRS will make the correction for you.

You can also point it out in Part III as a tax-software error beyond your control.

@c57crane 

@Critter-3 

Is there any way to correct Line 18 after AMEND has been clicked?

Step 1 --- undo amendment process 

Step 2 -- change the return to the IRS correction

Step 3 -- start amendment process

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in TurboTax Online?

If you started amending your tax return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment:

1. Open your return if it’s not already open.
  2. In the left menu select Cancel amend.
  3. Select Yes, I want to cancel my amended return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies