turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to amend a return for a larger refund after both original refund received and automatic UCE refund received?

The IRS automatically sent me a refund to correct for the new unemployment compensation exclusion (UCE) after I eFiled and received a small refund.  However, now I need to file an amended return for 2020, because I'm due a bigger refund (for various other reasons/corrections) than what was automatically sent by the IRS correction.  Specifically, TurboTax says my new amended refund should be an additional $2000, but the IRS "automatic UCE" check was for about $1100. So I'm due $900 more.  Should I complete the amended return ignoring the automatic UCE refund check and request $2000 (and the IRS will again automatically reduce my new requested refund $2000 by $1100 accordingly) , or should I enter that automatic UCE refund check of $1100 as a line item on the 1040-X somewhere (where?) to reduce my new requested refund appropriately to $900?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to amend a return for a larger refund after both original refund received and automatic UCE refund received?

Thanks! In Turbotax, I chose "add supporting details" for the "A   Overpayment, if any, as shown on the original return or as previously adjusted by the IRS (not including penalties)" under "Original 2020 Return Overpayment Smart Worksheet" section on the 1040-X form, right before line 18.  I put my original refund plus the UCE refund and it totaled them up and carried it to line 18. Now my new (3rd) refund on line 22 is correctly lowered to $900. 

(The "or as previously adjusted by the IRS" is the key detail I missed.) Thanks again for the help!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

an amended return starts out with your return as last adjusted by either you or the IRS. so you need column A of form 1040 to show all the adjustments the IRS made and to report all the refunds the IRS sent you. thus line 21 should only show the additional refund of $900.

"Specifically, TurboTax says my new amended refund should be an additional $2000,"

Does TurboTax say that your original tax is less after adjusting for $10,200 of unemployment? It should.

And the total refunds you got so far should appear on 1040-X line 18.

Thanks - that's what I thought, too.  It was just confusing of how/where to put that data in Turbotax. 

Thanks! In Turbotax, I chose "add supporting details" for the "A   Overpayment, if any, as shown on the original return or as previously adjusted by the IRS (not including penalties)" under "Original 2020 Return Overpayment Smart Worksheet" section on the 1040-X form, right before line 18.  I put my original refund plus the UCE refund and it totaled them up and carried it to line 18. Now my new (3rd) refund on line 22 is correctly lowered to $900. 

(The "or as previously adjusted by the IRS" is the key detail I missed.) Thanks again for the help!

MB67

When doing the 1040-X amended return where would I enter the amount I was refunded for the automatic UCE?  As it stands right now, my 1040-X is showing an amount on line 22 to be refunded which includes the UCE plus the ACTC for which I now qualify.  I was already refunded the UCE so it should not be included. I have explained this in Part III on the 1040-X, but is there any way to correct line 22 to show just the ACTC amount?  Thanks for any help. 

You must be using TurboTax Online.

TurboTax Online 2020 is seriously flawed (see other posts on the forum about this).

It won't let you change/correct 1040-X line 18.

To get a completely correct Form 1040-X you'd have to fill out the form manually and file on paper.

you can get 1040-X in pdf-fillable format from  IRS.gov.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies