turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i fix my ein number

How do I fix my EIN number

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

You need to set forth details on what exactly is wrong with your EIN such that you believe it has to be fixed.

And which EIN?  On your W2 or for yourself on schedule C, etc.

My employers EIN number is one digit too long for the federal entry space on the website. I believe that is why my returns are being rejected.

@Mastadson  wrote:

My employers EIN number is one digit too long for the federal entry space on the website. I believe that is why my returns are being rejected.

Then it is not an EIN.  EIN's can ONLY be 9 digits in the format 12-3456789.

And is can no longer "reject" because after Oct 15, there is no more e-file.  Tax returns can only be printed and mailed now and a mailed return will not reject.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I can see my confusion about the number now looking closer because usually the Federal and State numbers are the same but the State one for some reason has an extra digit. My wife and I have been trying to finish our tax return since before April 15th with no luck. I do not understand why we had so much trouble using the Turbo Tax program to file. We have never had a problem before but this year it was one thing after another causing us issues. It used to be simple to find help but now it seems the only way to get it is to pay more for the CPA service. I have lost my confidence with Turbo Tax and will not be using it again in the future. When our return was rejected we were told that one of our EIN’s did not match IRS records but we were not told which one needed to be fixed just “guided” to pay for the CPA service. Now I am not entirely sure how to properly file my taxes.

The CPA service is a separate service.   As long as you are a paying customer regular phone support is available (no phone support for free  versions).

As far as the EIN reject, that comes from the IRS.   TurboTax has no way to know which EIN caused the reject- only the IRS could tell you that (usually, not always,  the reject code will end with a -01 or -02 which would be the first or second listed taxpayer on the return).

And, using a state EIN in place of the Federal EIN will cause the IRS to reject a Federal return.   In most cases all you can do with a EIN database mismatch is double check that the EIN is correct and if it continues to reject then the error might be in the IRS database which is impossible to get fixed so all that can be done is to paper file.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

after I filed my taxes it was rejected because my ein number isn’t correct how do I fix it after I filed 

Hello one of my ein numbers was wrong on my W2 so my taxes got rejected do you know how I can change my ein number to correct it 

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

You should've received an email with instructions on how to fix your return but if you haven't, the following TurboTax FAQ will assist you in fixing your rejected return: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-fw2-502-the-name-or-ein-for-an-emplo...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jacinda32Ojeda
Returning Member

How do I fix my son number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies