Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I check if a newly added form is accepted after I've filed the return and how soon can I expect the additional refund?

I added another form about two months after filing the initial return, still haven't received another check yet.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I check if a newly added form is accepted after I've filed the return and how soon can I expect the additional refund?

Did you properly complete the amendment process mail in the signed 1040X form ?

I'm not sure what that is, I e-filed it. Now on the main page it just says federal and state are accepted but nothing specific.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was completed properly, I had to pay $120 for the premium to amend it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

an amended can not be e-filed as of today.  It must be mailed in. However, the IRS is working on allowing e-filing of amended returns.  When and how is up in the air as of now. 

You should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it. That is the only proof of mailing that the IRS will accept.

-- Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

***************************************NOTE***********************************************
Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) to process in normal times but due the the Corona virus shutdown the IRS is not even opening mailed returns at this time and just storing them so the 16 weeks will not even start until the IRS returns to normal - whenever that will be - and there will be a huge backup of mail.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue
********************************************************************************************

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies