turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I print my original 1040 and 1040x prior to my amended return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Did you save your original Form 1040 as a pdf?   If you did not save it before you amended then the 1040X replaced it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The amended return replaces the original return.   You needed to save a copy before you amended.

You can request a transcript from the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There is no original 1040X. Form 1040-X is the amended return. Your original tax return did not have a 1040-X.

@jason091713 

Put your 1040  back to the way it was before you clicked amend and made your changes. i.e. undo everything (manually).

Then print that.

Then do your changes over again.

How to file:

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include any new/corrected document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.
Mail to the address shown for your location in the Instructions for Form 1040-X.
---
If you are using TurboTax you have to find the new or changed pages by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.

If you e-Filed 1040 you get one e-File of 1040-X and you still have time to e-File but it ends Oct15.

--

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend if a TurboTax update changes your return or for any other reason,

AND, to find your AGI next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies