turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can i find out if my refund has been garnished by the irs?

I have not received my refund yet, but how can I know if the IRS has plans on keeping it? is there a number I can call to see if my refund is subject to garnishment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies
KrisC

Hello angelshelby21,

The Department of Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS) can offset any unpaid federal or government debt against your refund without prior notice. Most commonly, the offset is taken for:
  • Past due child support;
  • Debts owed to a federal agency;
  • Unemployment debts owed to the state;
  • Past due federal student loans;
  • Unpaid state income tax.

We're unable to assist with or provide additional information about refund offsets, as these actions are initiated by the government. For further assistance:

• Call the FMS at 1-800-304-3107 to find out if your refund was reduced because of an offset.
  • Call the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service at 1-877-777-4778 (or visit www.irs.gov/advocate) if you feel your refund was reduced in error. The service is free.

Below is a link with more information about offsets and what actions you need to take. I hope this has helped!

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894477-why-did-my-federal-tax-refund-decrease-after-i-filed

The 800 304 3107 number is no longer in service.

As of at least today, it's back up.

just worked for me

This is a 4 year old post - numbers can change.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Is this for state refund too and not just federal??

This number is working as of today. However the automatic message that is given before entering any information clearly states that any information that might be given is for NON tax debts and if you are inquiring about a TAX debt that might offset your tax refund you have to call IRS so this thread is helpful but is doesn't answer the question concerning TAX debt offsets.

The IRS itself will take your refund for back tax before any other tax offset is applied.

You can check your own account with the IRS and if you owe back tax at the IRS website.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account">https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-accou...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am closing this 4 year old post since it is out of date.

FMS does not handle past FEDERAL taxes there, correct? In other words, those are not considered to be an "offset," right? I'm hoping that what I owe in back taxes is just quickly subtracted from my refund (it only represents about 4% of my refund) and the rest is sent without a bunch of delays and down-time. 

are you saying that if I owe in federal taxes from 2012, FMS can only tell me about my current year 2013? are past federal taxes considered an offset? if not, does that mean they wont take my current federal return owed to me? i'm confused
JosephF8
Expert Alumni

IRS Offset line: 800-304-3107

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I call. It says there is one debt and my refund may or may not be offset. Currently my refund has been accepted and is being processed. I claimed the Earned income tax credit, so I do get the tax topic 152 when I check wheres my refund. Anyone know if that can change? 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, it can. If your return is offset, you'll get an explanatory letter from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service. The remainder of your refund will be processed as usual. For more information please click the link below.

What is a refund offset? - Community - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies