turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

minx73--

How can I amend the amount of my mortgage balance and year-to-date interest paid?

The information is relative to my 2019 filing, but will not affect my return; it's just financial file information.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

How can I amend the amount of my mortgage balance and year-to-date interest paid?

Do you plan to amend your return or are you just wanting to add the information to your file for your records?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

If you need to make changes to a return that was already filed and accepted, you will need to amend your return. Please click here for instructions.

minx73--

We just want to put in the correct mortgage info for 2019 interest paid and year-end balance; the amendments WILL NOT affect our returns.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If changing the information does not affect your total refund, you do not need to amend your tax return.

With the new tax reform TCJA, the standard deductions have doubled from the previous amounts.  If your total itemized deductions after adding the mortgage interest do not exceed the new standard deductions, it will not change your total refund.  If you were able to itemize in the past, it would be harder to itemize this year.  ( With the larger amount of standard deductions, you would need higher dollar amounts of your itemized items to exceed the standard amount)

@minx73-- @

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies