Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I access my backup return?

I am in the middle of filing my 2018 tax return with the Intuit software. I opened the software today to continue, and received a pop-up saying that the system couldn't find my return, and that I should access my "backup return," with a link to the website for instructions. The link went nowhere. Help! How can I access this "backup return," or find my return, which I was saving?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ljk3

TurboTax can't find my return.  I need the backup.

TXzr20qo8
Returning Member

Can I correct a 1040X after it is printed for filing BUT NOT YET FILED?  The return is printed and saved as an Adobe (pdf) file with no way to return to your TT Program for correction.  Do I need to start the Amended process again?  If yes, am I able to use the existing software for more than one amended return?  Thank you,  F B Gerbing at [email address removed] or [phone number removed].

Two Other Notes:  1. The review process didn't catch a difference in the tax paid with the original return and the 1040X in the amended package ready for mailing - hence the need to correct the 1040X.  2. The recent deletion of the 2020 requirement for a Required Minimum Withdrawal from the IRA's of those over 70-1/2 will require redoing the Form-es Estimated  Payment Vouchers for the year.  However, your program does not allow the original (unused) form to be changed or reprinted.  The 2020 Estimate Vouchers have nothing to do with the 2019 return, yet the only alternative you offer is filling out the IRS forms manually.  

johnski2

Re: How can I access my backup return?

@johnski2 wrote:

Re: How can I access my backup return?

Did you save a backup copy?    It would be wherever you saved it to.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I innstalled tt 2023 and want to import data from TT2022 but the program says it cant find the TT2022   How do I get to the backup file for TT2022?

You need the .tax2022 file to transfer into 2023.  Do you have it?  It should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  Or search your computer and backups for all files ending in .tax or .tax2022.  

If Turbo Tax doesn't find your 2022 return you can browse to where it is.  If it's on an external backup or somewhere, first copy it to your computer in drive C: Documents.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies