Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I'm wondering if the IRS takes 21 days or 21 business days to process a filing? I'm trying to file for 2020 late before 12-31-21, to be eligible for the plus up..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello, I'm wondering if the IRS takes 21 days or 21 business days to process a filing? I'm trying to file for 2020 late before 12-31-21, to be eligible for the plus up..

Since you will have to print and mail the 2020 tax return, even during normal times it will take the IRS 4 weeks or longer to process a mailed tax return.  These are not normal times and it is taking the IRS up to 6 months and sometimes longer to process a mailed tax return.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS is currently severely backlogged and is taking months to process tax returns. If you didn't get the full amount of the third stimulus payment that you are entitled to, you will be able to claim it as a Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2021 tax return.

@supremegodofthei 

Your tax return filing date is the date the IRS receives it, not the date it is finally approved, which could take months.

It's not clear what you mean by "plus-up" and what you are expecting to happen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies