turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vickie15

Has anyone not received their refund due to the IRS ammended their refund , even though turbo tax says it's been sent ? Do I need to redo my taxes ?

I selected that I did not receive my 3rd stimulus as I wasn't sure . Bad decision as now I have not received my refund ,
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Has anyone not received their refund due to the IRS ammended their refund , even though turbo tax says it's been sent ? Do I need to redo my taxes ?

Turbo Tax doesn't know if the IRS has sent your refund.  After the IRS gets your return they do not update Turbo Tax.  Where does it say it was sent?  

If you said you do not receive the 3rd Stimulus payment then it was added to your refund (or reduced a tax due).   It will be on 1040 line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  How much is on line 30?  But if the IRS records show they sent it to you they will automatically reduce your refund or send you a bill.  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the stimulus payment or qualify for more.    If they IRS changed your return they will mail you a letter.  

Double check your bank statements and check your IRS account (both accounts if married) to see what they sent you.
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

The 3rd Stimulus payment started going out in March 2021 and is for 1,400 for each person listed on your tax return, no age limit. The IRS used your 2020 (or 2019) return to send the checks out fast. If your 2021 return changes and you qualify for more you can claim the extra as the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30. But line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. Not the amount you already got. The IRS also sent out letter 6475 to tell you how much they sent you . If you are married then each spouse should get a letter for half.

You  said that you did not receive the 3rd stimulus but you really were not sure?   If you said you did not receive it then you put an amount on line 30 of your Form 1040 that might be wrong.   Check your bank account for deposits after mid-March for $1400 per person.   And check your online account with the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you did already receive that stimulus money then your line 30 should have been blank.   If your answer was incorrect and you put an amount on line 30 by mistake then the IRS will review your return and they will reduce the refund you thought you were going to receive.   You do not have to amend for this..   the IRS has been checking all returns with an amount on line 30 and correcting mistakes.   It will, of course, delay your refund.

And....TurboTax never tells you that your refund was sent.  TT never knows when or even if your refund has been sent.   TurboTax receives no information after you file your tax return.   Only the IRS knows when they sent the refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@vickie15 - DO NOT redo your taxes or even amend you taxes.  The IRS will adjust your refund once they revie your return.

In all likelihood, the fact that you had an entry on Line 30 (Recovery REbate Credit) is delaying your tax return because it appears that all returns with entries on Line 30 (and Line 28) are being reviewed

Advise: just have patience and do nothing, 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies