turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Got nothing

I sent my paper tax form in at the end of March. I understand they are behind in the mail since they had 11 million of unopened pieces when they started opening them in june, but it is now August 20th and I have no idea if it has been recieved, accepted, processing, anything. Anytime I type my information in it tells me it is wrong and I know I'm putting in the correct information. Can someone explain?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got nothing

either the return never got to the IRS or it has it but it hasn't been processed yet.  if you send in another copy it could further delay the processing of your rerun if the IRS has it.   you need to call the IRS to see if they have gotten it.  then you'll know how to proceed.

800-829-1040

First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4
You should then be transferred to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.

Got nothing

Now you know how important it is to use a mailing service when you mail anything to the IRS, so that you will know if it was received.

MAILED RETURNS

The IRS has just started to work through millions of mailed returns that have been piling up in trailers during the pandemic.  All you can do is watch the IRS refund site to see when your return makes it to the surface and goes into processing. Sorry.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue:

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Got nothing

Well thanks for the I told u so but it doesnt help

Got nothing

@Markyj611 What more do you think we can tell you?  They are digging through 11 million envelopes.  We do not know where yours is in the pile.  All you can do is wait and watch the IRS refund site for information.  TurboTax has no way to know where your return is or when the IRS will process it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Got nothing

If you have a copy of everything, you are fine.

If you do not have a copy of everything, make sure you keep all the reciepts, W-2s and what not.

Remember, when you signed it, it did say......'to the best of your abilities'.......

cullen21

Got nothing

I paper filed and OWED money. I enclosed the check with the mailing. That check was posted on April 21st, so I know they received it. Nevertheless, the IRS site shows that they have not yet processed/received my return. Did they just open my return, cash the check, and then put it in a pile to be recorded later? What could be going on?

Got nothing

@cullen21 wrote:

I paper filed and OWED money. I enclosed the check with the mailing. That check was posted on April 21st, so I know they received it. Nevertheless, the IRS site shows that they have not yet processed/received my return. Did they just open my return, cash the check, and then put it in a pile to be recorded later? What could be going on?

The website for checking the status of a tax return is only if you are receiving a federal tax refund, not if you have taxes owed - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Got nothing

@cullen21 What site are you looking at that makes you think the IRS did not process your tax return?  If you owed tax due then nothing will show up on the Where's My Refund site.  That site only shows information about returns when a refund is going to be paid to you.  And the TurboTax site will not change to show you paid.

TT does not update after your return has been accepted.  Your account will always show the result of the return you prepared using the software.  TurboTax never knows if you received your refund —or if how, or when you paid tax due.  Your proof that you paid your tax will be your own bank/credit card records.

You say your check was cashed.  Keep a copy of that.  That is your proof that you filed and that you paid your tax due.  The IRS is not going to send you a thank you note.

cullen21

Got nothing

I am looking at my account at the irs.gov site where it "welcomes" me with this statement: Your 2019 Tax Return Has Not Been Processed and the Due Date Has Passed." But thanks for giving me some assurance that my cashed check will be sufficient to prove that they did indeed receive my return in time. I guess that's all I can expect, especially during the Covid disaster.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies