turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to save my unfinished tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Go up to My Account then Save & Sign Out. Or do you want to download it to your computer?

I don't see anywhere "My Account" on the app version i'm working on with my computer.

@ jkaruna wrote:

I don't see anywhere "My Account" on the app version i'm working on with my computer.

This is an old thread from around 3 years ago that transferred into this new forum. Unfortunately, all those old threads were given an early June 2019 date, which is confusing to users.

There is no longer a "My Account" menu in Online TurboTax.   And when there was, it was only for Online TurboTax, not the desktop software.   The website was redesigned a couple years ago. 

"the app version i'm working on with my computer"

What does that mean?  Are you referring to installed desktop software (CD/download) as opposed to the Online website version?   Any references to "My Account" were for the old Online website.

If you are using Online TurboTax, see the answer I left you in your other thread on how to end a session:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/re-i-also-do-not-have-my-account-i-am-no...

If you are using desktop TurboTax (CD/download), what product are you using, and is it for MAC or PC?

I am using the downloaded version for PCs. Version 2018 Home and Business. Paid $119.

Then go up to File-Save.   Or it should ask you to save when you exit or start another new return.  Your data is saved as a file ending in .tax2018.  And be sure to save frequently, even when working on your return.

Mohanlal

I have down loaded Turbotax deluxe 2020 on my Mac Airbook

laptop. I do not know how to save unfinished federal tax return

on my fish drive

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you need to save a copy of your unfinished return, please follow the instructions here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm working with a deluxe version download on a Mac.  having trouble saving.  it repeatedly says I don't have permission to save.  but they sometimes it does so automatically.  thanks.  please reply to 

the instructions on the last post did not help.  Bil Cressler 

@bil cressler  wrote:

I'm working with a deluxe version download on a Mac.  having trouble saving.  it repeatedly says I don't have permission to save.  but they sometimes it does so automatically.  thanks.  please reply to [personal info removed]

This is a public Internet forum.  You should not post personal info here.  No telling who could try to spam/scam you.  You can edit your comment above to remove your personal info.  To do that click the tiny blue 3-dot icon just to the right of your comment.   It's possible a Moderator may remove it.

I don't use a Mac, so I'm going to ask someone who may be familiar with this issue to help you on Monday.

In the meantime, if you're trying to save it to a flash drive or external drive, try saving it to the main drive instead.

@macuser_22    When you are next around, are you please able to assist this user who has a "permissions issue" with saving his file?   Thanks!

Saving to removable media is not recommended because of permissions problems.  Save to your Desktop.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

thank you.  I was saving them on a thumb drive.  have moved them to my desktop and will see how that works.  much appreciated.  bil

it is working fine.  thanks again.  Bil C.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies