turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mzcribbz

Can't complete taxes because it keeps bringing me back to Form 4506. How can I get past this and is it even necessary

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Can't complete taxes because it keeps bringing me back to Form 4506. How can I get past this and is it even necessary

Form 4506 is the form that you use to request a copy of your tax return from the IRS.  If you do not need this, you can delete the Form by following these instructions:

• Go to "Tax Tools" on the left and choose "Tools"
  • Select "Delete a Form" and scroll down and find Form  4506 and choose "Delete" next to it. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Form 4506 is the form that you use to request a copy of your tax return from the IRS.  If you do not need this, you can delete the Form by following these instructions:

• Go to "Tax Tools" on the left and choose "Tools"
  • Select "Delete a Form" and scroll down and find Form  4506 and choose "Delete" next to it. 
bczastrow3
Returning Member

I do not see any option saying "take me to my return"  Where can I go?

bczastrow3
Returning Member

I never see the option saying "take me to my return"

@ bczastrow3 wrote:

I do not see any option saying "take me to my return"  Where can I go?

This is an old thread.  That first step is an old instruction from 2-3 years ago.  The website is different now.  It just means the once you log in, open your return interview back up so you have the full menu in the left column.  The rest of the steps are the same.

bczastrow3
Returning Member

How do I open the return interview back up?

@bczastrow3 wrote:

How do I open the return interview back up?

What are you doing?  And what is your situation?   You've said nothing about your issue.

Are you not using Online TurboTax to prepare a return? 

Or have you already filed a return?

If you are still preparing the return, are you unable to log in and continue your work in the return?

bczastrow3
Returning Member

I have been trying for 2 hours to get to Tax Tools.  but I can't because I fail to get the message saying "go to my return "

bczastrow3
Returning Member

My return is nearly completed, but I can go no further until I delete form 4506

@ bczastrow3 wrote:

I have been trying for 2 hours to get to Tax Tools.  but I can't because I fail to get the message saying "go to my return "

There is not a message exactly like that.   The wording in that first step is outdated.  This is an old thread from 2 or more years ago.  

What product are you using? -- The Mobile App or Online TurboTax in a browser?   If you are using the Mobile App, you have to do it differently.

If you are using Online TurboTax in a browser, you simply open your return like you've been doing each time you've been working on it.   i.e., when you log in, you'll be at the Tax Home, and the screen title will say "Let's keep working on your taxes", and there will be several choices of topics.   Or you can click a blue button "Pick up where you left off."

However, if TurboTax thinks you were finished, and at the Tax Home you no longer have any topic options or a blue button to "Pick up where you left off", we can tell you an alternate way to open it.

But first we have to know if you are using Online TurboTax or the Mobile App?  

I don't know what product you're using--Online TurboTax or the Mobile App.

If you're using the Mobile App, you can't delete a form directly from the Mobile App.  The Mobile App does not have Tax Tools.   You have to do it through Online TurboTax.

If using the Mobile App, you can switch back and forth with Online TurboTax in a browser to work on your return.

You have to sign into Online TurboTax to do it, using either a browser on your computer or a browser on your mobile device, and using the same User ID and password.

In the interest of time, I'll go ahead and leave some more info in case the following is your scenario.

If you're using Online TurboTax in a browser, and TurboTax "thinks" you were finished, and thus your return interview is closed, and the links to reopen it are no longer present at the Tax Home, then look for a link "Add a State" to open the interview back up.  That doesn't really add one, but it opens the interview back up so you can finish it.  Once you open the return back up, then you should have a full left column menu including Tax Tools.

Again, the Tax Tools feature is not present in the Mobile App (if you're using that product), but you can switch back and forth with Online TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies