turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed with TurboTax 2/9/2020; federal and both states accepted; Status says still "Processing"

Any help on my situation would be greatly appreciated. I'm sick of going around in circles. I filed my taxes on 2/9/2020 and have yet to receive my refund. My return was accepted by federal and both states (DC and NC) the same day. Because I have not yet received my refund, the $120 (charge to TurboTax) and the $611 (DC State Taxes) have already been withdrawn from my debit card since it was supposed to be withdrawn from my refund. The NC state taxes owed was $4 but I have no way to pay that?? I haven't received anything from NC even though my taxes were accepted. Is the $4 really holding back the rest of my refund from being deposited?? Why can I not contact anyone to resolve this issue?!?! HELP!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Filed with TurboTax 2/9/2020; federal and both states accepted; Status says still "Processing"

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions
If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

To help you understand, TurboTax gets no information about the status of tax returns and refunds once the return is submitted to the IRS and states and accepted. However, you have not received your federal refund because the IRS has not completed processing your tax return. They must complete the processing of it before they will approve it and issue a refund.

You may have been mistaken about having your DC taxes paid from your federal refund. There is no way to have that done. The payment due to NC would have no affect on the processing of your federal return and approving it for a refund. 

When you chose to have your TurboTax fees paid from your federal refund, you agreed that if your refund was delayed that TurboTax could take the fees from your account: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

States do not track the processing of returns where there is no refund due. You will have to make arrangements to pay what you owe NC since state taxes can never be paid from the federal refund.

It is difficult for all of us to understand why the IRS did not complete processing a tax return efiled on Feb. 9. Did you receive any kind of request for more information after you filed the return?

The IRS is way behind in processing tax returns. They did very little processing in March, April and May due to the pandemic. They have not said when they will be able to catch up.

Since it has been so long, you might try using the Taxpayer Advocate Service for help: https://www.irs.gov/taxpayer-advocate

Went through the IRS calling instructions as suggested. After the last menu option, got the message, "Due to high call volume, try later or on another business day." Is there another way to find out the status besides the IRs.gov/refund. Has anyone else been waiting for over 2.5 months or more for their refund being processed by the IRS?

There are no other ways to contact the IRS. There have been hundreds of posts on this site from persons who have waited even more than 3 months for their refund.

The IRS stopped processing returns for some time and did not even open any mailed returns for many weeks. They have limited staff working now and there is no way to know how long it will take them to work through the backlog of unprocessed returns. 

Sorry, I had e-filed with TurboTax. Have the e-filers also been waiting for 3 months?

Yes there are efilers who have been waiting 3 months or more for their refund. What does the IRS tracking web site say about the status of your return? Does it say "processing"?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Here is an IRS Q&A with information about refunds:
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

See this info about the current status of IRS operations:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

"We have received your tax return and it is being processed."

My federal return was accepted on 1/30 /2020, and to date, it still says, being processed.  I can’t talk to anyone, and the refund status check is useless.  DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT WE CAN DO???!!!!!  I’M GOING ON 6 MONTHS. 
Very frustrating. 

Those instructions are useless since you can’t talk to anyone. Not sure who keeps posting these instructions, someone from Turbo Tax?  

I’m going on 6 months. 

You can try contacting the Taxpayer Advocate Service: https://www.irs.gov/taxpayer-advocate

Unfortunately I think their offices are also closed and they are understaffed just like the IRS due to the Covid-19 restrictions. 

We have seen an occasional post of someone who was able to speak to someone at the IRS and make progress. But there are so many calls and so few IRS employees handling them that most people who call can't get through. 

Marsha0630
Returning Member

you cannot contact the IRS they are not accepting phone calls.  Ive tried and tried.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are not alone. This year has brought challenges and timelines unknown. The IRS is required to reconcile the tax returns and stimulus payments as well as working on the third stimulus payments due to the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).  With the tax season and the changes taking place all at once, a delay should be expected. They want to be diligent and are required to follow any protocols they have been issued.  They will make any adjustments and additional payments as they complete the process.  

They are also reconciling and adjusting returns for unemployment benefits and advance premium tax credits for which they do not want any amended returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies