turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

typehrson
Returning Member

Federal Tax Return

I completed my federal tax return and there were no errors found by the Smart Check.  I filed the taxes and received an E-mail that it was accepted.  I kept checking my bank account and .....no return.  I went to the IRS website to check on the status and it told me that they had changed the amount of my return from 2464.00 to now I own them 416.00.  The details told me that there were two errors.  On on the schedule C which I did not understand and another with the dependents that I listed stating that a SS # was wrong or one of the dependence did not qualify due to the age limit.  Neither of these are the case.  I checked and double checked the SS numbers and my oldest dependent is 21.  Can you help me pleas!!  They said they would be mailing out my new return for me to pay them on Monday.  What are my options???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Federal Tax Return

The letter you received should how to dispute it.

The wrong SSN can easily be disputed by sending a copy of the SS card or getting SS records from the SSA.

As far as the disallowed dependent -  that depends on how you reported the dependent.  Was the dependent a full time student?  If not, then did the dependent have a gross income more then $4,300.

Is this a 2019 or 2018 return? - it seems a bit early to be getting letters for 2020 since the filing date has not even passed yet.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Federal Tax Return

" it seems a bit early to be getting letters for 2020 since the filing date has not even passed yet."

If the miscalculation is caught by the computers the adjustment can be made without human intervention.

Clearly the canned letter is used for various situations.

What does Tax Day have to do with it ?

typehrson
Returning Member

Federal Tax Return

No, I never received a letter or e-mail.  I went to the IRS website to check as it had been almost 2 months since I filed my return and it was accepted.  What I told you about my return was on the website and I was not notified in any way about the changes to my return.  

Federal Tax Return

The IRS "Wheres My Refund" site has been very slow and  inaccurate this year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
typehrson
Returning Member

Federal Tax Return

So are you saying I should just wait?  They are saying my return went from 2646.00 to me owing them 418.00.  That is a big discrepancy!!  But your saying it may be inaccurate?  

Federal Tax Return

For the dependent ssn is wrong.   That is one of the list of generic reasons they give.

Do you have an amount of line 30 for the Recovery rebate credit?

A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery rebate credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payment or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts or entered the wrong amounts in the 2 boxes.  If you entered the total you got for both rounds in the same box it would think you didn't get the other one.  The IRS knows how much they already sent you.  You might have tried to claim it again on line 30.

typehrson
Returning Member

Federal Tax Return

I only got one rebate for 1800.  I never received the second one and that was the answer I gave them on TurboTax when they asked me.  

Federal Tax Return

Are you Single or Married?  How many dependents under 17 on your 2020 return?  How much is on 1040 line 30?

1800 was the amount of the 1st and 2nd rounds for Single, 1200+600.  Or could be just the 2nd one for 3 people 600x3.

The 1st round was 1200 for each spouse and 500 for dependents.  The 2nd round was 600 per person.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies