turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

deso1738

Doing an amended tax return for my niece because her boyfriend entered all her amounts from her w-2 incorrectly. now it says she owes, why?

Everything was incorrect. He claimed wages way higher than what she made and left out some of her tax withheld amounts. after I did a amended tax form with all her correct info, it says she owes. why?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Doing an amended tax return for my niece because her boyfriend entered all her amounts from her w-2 incorrectly. now it says she owes, why?

To see whether your amendment Form 1040-X is correct, you must visually compare the original and the correct Form 1040.

OR
blindly go with whatever TurboTax produces (not recommended).

Anonymous
Not applicable

since her boyfriend seems to have over-reported her income and under-reported her withholding, it is likely she would have ended up owing on the original return.  if that payment was made you need to take credit for it on the amended return - line 16.

the other possibility is that with multiple w-2's not enough was withheld.    for example the withholding on 3 - $15,000 w-'2's is going to be significantly less than the income tax liability on the $45,000 in total income 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies