Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to amend my tax return if I forgot to report a 1099-B stock investment from my employer? My refund will be $0 and I won't have to owe anything.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Do I need to amend my tax return if I forgot to report a 1099-B stock investment from my employer? My refund will be $0 and I won't have to owe anything.

If what you're describing is correct, you most likely don't need to amend. 

In IRS Topic No. 308, Amended Returns, the IRS states that you need to "file an amended return if there's a change in your filing status, income, deductions, or credits."

The IRS has a good tool that can help you determine if you should file an amended return to correct an error.  Please see "Should I File an Amended Return?" to use this tool.

Also, you can see the TurboTax article "Do I need to amend?" for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I used the tool and it says that nothing has changed, but I am just wondering whether reporting the 1099-B from the stock options when they get vested need to be reported when I have already paid taxes for them, which is why overall nothing changed in terms of owing or getting a refund. 

"You need to report a tax form you forgot about or received post-filing (most commonly a W-2, 1099, or 1095-A)." It says most commonly a 1099, so I am not sure if a 1099-B form counts or if it would have already been accounted for through my W-2.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

The IRS instruction is (most likely, intentionally) vague as to what has to be reported, but reporting would be the prudent thing to do, and I’m sure it would alleviate any concerns that you might have. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies