turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to do State taxes if I have nothing to report

do I have to pay $50.00 even if I have no state taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are not required to file a state return, then you do not have to pay for the State return.   If a state return got started you can delete it.  If no state return was started, go to the File tab, go through the screens until you get to the screen where is asks what return do you want to file, choose file just Federal.

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you don't see the option to delete your state (you'll probably see Edit instead), you've already paid your TurboTax fees (including the state fee) or registered your free version while the state was on your return. If you've done either of these things, you can't delete your state return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are not required to file a state return, then you do not have to pay for the State return.   If a state return got started you can delete it.  If no state return was started, go to the File tab, go through the screens until you get to the screen where is asks what return do you want to file, choose file just Federal.

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you don't see the option to delete your state (you'll probably see Edit instead), you've already paid your TurboTax fees (including the state fee) or registered your free version while the state was on your return. If you've done either of these things, you can't delete your state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies