turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

compare versions of tax file

My prior year's software has been patched with several updates.  I don't know whether these updates affected my tax file.  How can I compare my updated tax file against its filed version?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If your taxes haven't changed you don't need to be concerned about the updates affecting your account data. These updates are not meant to alter any calculations within your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

If you saved copy of your filed return (PDF or tax file), updates should not have affected it. If you saved a copy of your 2018 tax return on your computer, you could verify it matches, if you are concerned.

Note: If you used TurboTax to file your taxes in 2018, there is a 2-year comparison included with your tax return.  If you didn't use TurboTax last year but have your previous year's summary, you can add the details if you are using the desktop CD/Download product.  Click on Forms in the upper-right hand corner and then scroll down to the Tax History page near the bottom of the federal forms list.  You can manually enter the details from tax years 2015-2018 on that screen.  

There is not a way to add the info if you are using the Online software. Your only option would be to view the summaries side by side unless of course, you used TurboTax Online last year.  

" DawnC Employee Tax Expert"

@DawnC, I don't know whether software updates corrected (without amending) my tax file.  I can save an updated version of my .tax2018 file in Premier For Windows.  But how can I compare it against my filed return (the original version of my .tax2018 file)?  Thanks.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If your taxes haven't changed you don't need to be concerned about the updates affecting your account data. These updates are not meant to alter any calculations within your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies