turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Checked status on my tax return. States that they need more information from me and I’ll receive a letter in the mail within 30 days. What to expect? Am I in trouble

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Checked status on my tax return. States that they need more information from me and I’ll receive a letter in the mail within 30 days. What to expect? Am I in trouble

Full question, claimed my disabled brother who started working last year and earned around 10,000 gross. Was told income doesn’t matter if they’re disabled. So I went ahead and claimed like I did every year and I checked the status of my return and it stated, “We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed. You will receive a notice from us requesting additional information within 30 calendar days. You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information we requested. If you need more information after you receive our notice, call the number on the notice.” This hasn’t happened before and I’m stressed now! I was told by many tax experts that I was able to claim him and that I should be good and then this happened. What’s gonna happen when I receive that letter? What more info do you think they’ll need? What’s gonna happen to my refund? I’m panicking. HELP.

You are not in trouble ... but the IRS is looking at something on your return and simply require more time.  Due to budget cuts and hiring freezes the IRS is understaffed and some things simply take more time.  Check the IRS site every couple of days to see if the return has completed the processing and watch your mail box for a letter from the IRS if they require more information.  If you do get a letter read it carefully to determine what they want then respond as directed in a timely fashion.  And most of all don't panic ... this is common and many times will resolve itself in time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies