Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i still qualify for the stimulus? i still need to have a pro fix & file my 2018/2019 returns

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can i still qualify for the stimulus? i still need to have a pro fix & file my 2018/2019 returns

Read the IRS  FAQs ...  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A4. You are not required to file a tax return and will automatically receive a $1,200 Payment if you received Social Security retirement, SSDI, survivors benefits, SSI, Railroad Retirement benefits, or VA Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefits in 2019. You do not need to contact the IRS, Social Security Administration (SSA), the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) or Veterans Affairs. The IRS will use the information from your 2019 benefits to generate a Payment to you if you did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019. You will receive your Payment as a direct deposit or by mail, just as you would normally receive your federal benefits.

Q5.  I haven’t filed a federal tax return for 2018 or 2019 and don’t receive Social Security retirem...

A5.  You have to provide basic information to the IRS to receive your Payment. The IRS urges you to take one of the following actions as soon as you can.

• You can use the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool to provide simple information to the IRS so you can get your Payment. U.S. citizens and permanent residents can use this tool if they had gross income that did not exceed $12,200 ($24,400 for married couples filing jointly) for 2019 and were not otherwise required to file a federal income tax return for 2019, and didn't plan to do so. This is the quickest way to get your payment.
  • You can file a federal income tax return for 2019 with the IRS even if you receive non-taxable income or do not make enough money to normally have to file a tax return.

Have your bank account information available when you use the tool or file so you can get your Payment as quickly as possible. Otherwise, the IRS will mail your Payment to the address you provide.

A6. Use the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA) online tool that provides answers to tax questions. The Do I Need to File a Tax Return? tool can help you determine if you're required to file a 2019 federal income tax return.

Answer the questions about your filing status, federal income tax withheld, and basic information to help you determine your gross income to see if you need to file a 2019 tax return. If you had no income or income under a certain amount, you are not required to file a tax return. If you are not required to file a tax return, the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool is the fastest way to get your Payment.

@Critter @bernadetteniles - but I don't believe you can do the non-filer which is technically a tax return and then file a 2019 tax return; you'd have to amend that non-filer return (I think) if you were attempting update your 2019 return

@Critter - thoughts????

Correct  you file a return if required  and  the non filer one if you are not required to file a return ... I presented all the FAQs in my answer so those who read this can decide the path they need to take.   

If you ARE required to file a return and mess up and file a NON filer return then you will need to AMEND  the non filer return that was already filed ... if you try to file a second return the IRS will reject it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies