Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I still get a stimulus check after I amended my filing status from claimed as a dependent to single? It was an accident. I am 27 years old and cannot be claimed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Can I still get a stimulus check after I amended my filing status from claimed as a dependent to single? It was an accident. I am 27 years old and cannot be claimed.

Yes, you will need to file an amended return (1040X). The IRS will only accept amended returns via mail. Usually, it takes up to 16 weeks to process Form 1040X but the IRS is currently not processing any paper returns. Therefore, it might be taking even longer. 

Please see How do I amend a 2019 return in TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DanaB27 Thank you so much I am going to file it as soon as possible. 

@missbre92 - worst case scenario as there is no press reports or IRS guidance whether they will be issuing stimulus payments immediately after processing an amended return:

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received it), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing.
  • If you received too much stimulus, by law, you are not required to return it

so if you don't file the amendment, it'll still work itself out, but not until next year and there is no indication either way if filing the amendment will trigger the stimulus this year in any event.  it's a mystery. 

@NCperson Thanks so much I appreciate it!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies