turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I modify my tax return once submitted

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Did you really click that big orange button that said “Transmit my return now?”  If you did that, you cannot do anything to fix it yet.  The IRS will begin to accept/reject 2019 returns on January 27.  You have to wait for the email that tells you if your return was accepted or rejected.

Filing before you have all of your information causes you a lot of aggravation that could be avoided if you just wait until you have everything first.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No.  Once a tax return has been filed it cannot canceled or retrieved or changed.

You will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects the federal tax return on or after January 27.

If rejected then you can make any changes needed and re-file.

If Accepted then you will have to amend the tax return.  An amended return can only be printed and mailed to the IRS.  The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return.

DalAnne2018TAX
Returning Member

I got a message from IRS that I made a mistake open my return. I did so but, I also made a second one. I need to amend my original return. In the meantime, I have a different computer and cannot get the new one to open  the old returns. How do I approach my dilemma?

DalAnne2018TAX
Returning Member

They did reject it. I paid the penalty for the late fee. How do I proceed?

DalAnne2018TAX
Returning Member

How do I start an amended return

DalAnne2018TAX
Returning Member

Is someone reading this?

You made a second one of what? A second mistake or you filed a second return?  

Did you install the program on the new computer?  

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

@DalAnne2018TAX wrote:

Is someone reading this?

This is not a chat room but a message board.  You ask as question or state a problem and when someone is available and can answer your question or problem they will post back.

You have already been asked to describe what you meant by your original post.

Additionally, did you you use the TurboTax online web-based editions or the TurboTax desktop software installed on your personal computer to complete and file the tax return?

What tax year are you referring to?

Was your tax return rejected by the IRS and never filed after being rejected?  If so, you do NOT complete an amended tax return.  You fix the reason for the rejection and file the tax return again.

unansweredproblems
Returning Member

Hi, i have a similar question. TurboTax is now saying there is a simple problem with my return. In order to solve it, they gave me one option. To mail it instead of efile. I said OK, and then was shocked when they wanted ME TO DO IT. The whole reason for using them was to get it efiled. Anyone out there with any suggestions? I paid extra, and was told I would have a chance to talk to a professional before filing, but, I did not see anything like that. All automated, no real people with real help. I HOPE someone out there can Help me and Thanks in advance.

@unansweredproblems We cannot see your screen, your tax return or your account, so we do not know what "simple problem" you are having.   If your return is being rejected for AGI you can try using "zero" as the AGI to e-file.

If it is some other problem then tell us about it here so we can try to help.   However, there are some problems that cannot be fixed to allow you to e-file.  If you have such a problem, and the return has to be mailed, then only you can print it and mail it yourself.  Your tax return requires YOUR signature in ink when you mail it, so you have to do that for yourself.  TurboTax does not sign and mail your return for you.

"I paid extra."   

We cannot tell from your post what software you used.   If you used a paid version of the software  you can contact customer support.  If you used one of the "Live" versions then you can talk with a tax expert.

Phone support is not provided with the Free Edition.  If you are using a paid version of the software or if you purchased PLUS you can get phone support when customer support is there.  Otherwise, post your question here and someone will try to help.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

If you are paying for TurboTax Live:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
unansweredproblems
Returning Member

What you wrote was very useful. Can you help me as well? I am currently on vacation in Asia. But, it's tax time, so I chose TurboTax. It was pretty painless & I was happy until they said both State n Federal were rejected? How can that be? Then they said it was my (Chinese) Wife's Social or her name. Well, I checked & both are correct. (It is often a problem because in Chinese, its last name first, the first name last) So I said its correct. The automated system said the simplest solution (to not solve the problem) is to snail mail & not efile. So I said OK, I figure they mail hundreds a day at this time. But, oh no... Was I shocked when they said, OK, now print it & simply drop it in the mail. This is totally unacceptable. I used TurboTax so I could Efile. So, what to do? And where are the professionals (I apologize if thats you) Who are supposed to actually HELP ME? Hope you can Help, stay Covid SAfe & Thanks in advance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies