turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I amend my taxes to remove my son as a dependent so that his father who I am unmarried to but live with can claim him?

And once i amend it how soon after can my boyfriend send his tax return in
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I amend my taxes to remove my son as a dependent so that his father who I am unmarried to but live with can claim him?

If your 2019 tax return has been accepted, then you have to wait for the tax refund to be issued before you can amend the 2019 tax return.   An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return.  You will probably owe federal income taxes on the amended return since you are removing the dependent from your tax return.  You include a check or money order for the taxes owed with the amended tax return that you mail to the IRS.

A 2019 tax return cannot be amended at this time.  Later in February you will be able to amend the return. 

When you sign onto your TurboTax online account, there will be an Amend (change) return option shown on the tax home web page when amend is available - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Your bf can file his tax return at any time with the child as a dependent.  However, since your tax return has already been accepted by the IRS with the child being claimed on your return, he will have to print and mail his tax return, it cannot be e-filed.  If his tax return has a tax refund, the IRS will pay the refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing and mailing a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If your 2019 tax return has been accepted, then you have to wait for the tax refund to be issued before you can amend the 2019 tax return.   An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return.  You will probably owe federal income taxes on the amended return since you are removing the dependent from your tax return.  You include a check or money order for the taxes owed with the amended tax return that you mail to the IRS.

A 2019 tax return cannot be amended at this time.  Later in February you will be able to amend the return. 

When you sign onto your TurboTax online account, there will be an Amend (change) return option shown on the tax home web page when amend is available - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Your bf can file his tax return at any time with the child as a dependent.  However, since your tax return has already been accepted by the IRS with the child being claimed on your return, he will have to print and mail his tax return, it cannot be e-filed.  If his tax return has a tax refund, the IRS will pay the refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing and mailing a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Ok, thank you! So i can go ahead and file his taxes (through the mail) before i even amend mine?

@jjchristie26 wrote:

Ok, thank you! So i can go ahead and file his taxes (through the mail) before i even amend mine?

Yes, you can.

jessicac342
Returning Member

Hi!  I have the same issue for the 2020 return.  I claimed our son on my return and both the state and federal returns were accepted today.  My boyfriend started doing his taxes today and we realized that we would receive more back if he claimed our son since he makes less money.  I went into my account to amend my tax return but it is too late and I have to wait until the form is available on 2/26 to amend my return.

Is my boyfriend able to e-file using our son as a dependent?  Or will he have to mail in his return instead?  I read somewhere that the e-file would be rejected if another person is claiming the child and earning the EIC.  However, I didn't get the EIC credit this year because of my income, I only received the child tax credit.  Would this mean that my boyfriend can e-file and claim our son?  

I will be amending my tax return once the form is available in a few weeks, I just am not sure how to handle it on my boyfriends side.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, When form is available, you may delete you son by amending your income tax return.  By deleting your only dependent may change your filing status to single,  On the other hand, your boyfriend may add your son to his return. but he must paper file it. 

jessicac342
Returning Member

Ok thanks!  I did see somewhere where he would have to paper file instead of e-file.  Do you know why he would have to paper file instead?  Would there still be a possibility of his return being rejected if he paper files before I receive the amendment form?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies