Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can anyone tell me how or where do I enter an interest payment I received from the IRS? IRS wants me to report it as income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can anyone tell me how or where do I enter an interest payment I received from the IRS? IRS wants me to report it as income.

Go to Federal > Wages and Income > Interest, and treat it like a fake 1099-INT.

I also received this in the mail.  I was wondering using turbo tax last year is there any way to verify this is even true.  My numbers match what turbo tax said so I don't see where they gave me interest unless it was auto corrected on turbo tax.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

To check this, go into your bank records and see when your tax refund posted.  You can most likely do this online.

If your refund posted to your account after April 15th, then the IRS would’ve paid you interest on a late-processed return, and that’s why you’re getting the form. 

And, if you’ll compare the posted amount to the amount of the refund you claimed on your return, your actual posted refund amount should be higher than what you claimed on your return.

See the IRS's Interest on Underpayments and Overpayments page for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies