turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA State Taxes Situation with W-2c from Employer

Hi,

I received W-2c for year 2020 and 2021 from my employer since I worked in Texas instead of California. Along with W-2c, I also received CA state tax and CA SDI for both these years from my employer in my bank account. However, while filing taxes before, I had already received state tax amounts from CA except the CA SDI. 
Now, It seems like I have received CA state tax from both CA tax refund and employer W-2c correction refund. I guess I need to file an amendment for this, so that I can refund back taxes to CA state. My questions are:

Are there any timelines or deadline to file amendments, whenever we receive W-2c from employer ? I wanted to know consequences, if we file late.

Thanks !

@MaryK4 

@ErnieS0 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Generally, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.  This true for the IRS as well as California. 

Amended returns can take more than 6-9 months to process. 

Will there be interest accured on the amount owed to California state. I am a bit confused because, I got state tax refunded while filing taxes for the year and now from the employer as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies