turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

At the time my taxes were accepted, I had not received a 2nd stimulus check. Then IRS sent me a letter saying I would receive the stimulus - do I need to amend my taxes?

My return was accepted on 2/11 and the letter about the stimulus was dated 2/15.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

At the time my taxes were accepted, I had not received a 2nd stimulus check. Then IRS sent me a letter saying I would receive the stimulus - do I need to amend my taxes?

You cannot make changes to a return that is in pending or to a return that has just been accepted.  

We do not know if entering the wrong stimulus amount will delay your refund --- or for how long if it does.   The IRS has not offered any guidance yet on how they will handle returns that have incorrect stimulus amounts entered.  We all just have to wait and see.  You are among many people  who were confused and entered incorrect stimulus amounts, or who filed early and then received a check.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You may not need to amend your return.  You will need to wait for you return to be processed. 

The IRS has not published any guidance on how they will handle a misstatement of stimulus amounts on the 2020 tax returns.  They may catch the error and notify you of the correction. 

Due to the timing of the stimulus payments and the tax filing season, this experience is very common.  

Here is a link to monitor for updates on the Recovery Rebate Credit.

[edited 2/22/2021 8:33am EST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies