Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amending for tax year 2019

I filed my tax return for year 2019 two months ago. However I made the contribution to my traditional IRA for year 2019 one month ago. I want to file an amended tax return for year 2019. What should I do with it? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do NOT send in an amended return until your original tax return has been fully processed.  If you try to amend and send in a 1040X before the original return has been processed, it will create confusion and delays.  

*** hot off the presses***  the IRS will start allowing amended 2019 returns to be efiled  later this month ... wait for the TT program to be ready for this change so you can avoid the 6 month processing time the paper returns are currently taking. 

See this TurvrboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Do NOT send in an amended return until your original tax return has been fully processed.  If you try to amend and send in a 1040X before the original return has been processed, it will create confusion and delays.  

*** hot off the presses***  the IRS will start allowing amended 2019 returns to be efiled  later this month ... wait for the TT program to be ready for this change so you can avoid the 6 month processing time the paper returns are currently taking. 

See this TurvrboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

Thanks for prompt reply. Yes, my tax return of year 2019 got accepted. I want to know how I can do to reflect my contribution to traditional IRA in the amendment. Thanks.

An IRA contribution for tax year 2019 had to be made on or before July 15, 2020,

To enter a IRA contribution -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement and Investments
  • On Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions, click the start or update button

Or enter ira contributions in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ira contributions

Thanks for the prompt response. How I can do this in the downloaded version of TurboTax.Deluxe 2019? Many thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies